cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Jam + Leap Motion

craigotron
Honored Guest
I noticed that the gamejam says that all submissions must work with either mouse/keyboard or an x-input joypad. I got my leap motion yesterday and got it working in Unity with the OVR Camera. Is the Leap Motion an acceptable input device to develop with for the jam?
8 REPLIES 8

TheGiantRobot
Honored Guest
Not trying to be a dick, but it does explicitly state to stick with keyboard/mouse or gamepad 😄 . I think the goal with this limitation is simply to make sure the potential games/apps are universal as possible. That way it reaches everyone who buys a rift and not just the people who buy a rift AND a leap or any other peripheral. They mentioned something about the winners being "featured" with the Rift, so it wouldn't work well to require extra equipment on top of that.

craigotron
Honored Guest
Makes sense, but I'd still like to get an official ruling. I was pretty impressed with the overall usability of the Leap. It definitely felt like an aid to the overall immersion of VR.

Gerald
Expert Protege
ohhhh - I missed that, good point. delete all jam/leap ideas :lol:
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, it needs to work with mouse/keyboard or xbox gamepad.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

craigotron
Honored Guest
Too bad. I'm really impressed with the interaction of Rift + Leap. Of course, this is after only a few hours of playing around yesterday, so maybe I'll change my mind. Thanks for the clarification, though. Much appreciated.

@Cyberreality - is the project still ineligible if keyboard/mouse/gamepad (or some combination thereof) is used, but so is the Leap?

totallymichael
Honored Guest
"craigotron" wrote:
Too bad. I'm really impressed with the interaction of Rift + Leap. Of course, this is after only a few hours of playing around yesterday, so maybe I'll change my mind. Thanks for the clarification, though. Much appreciated.

@Cyberreality - is the project still ineligible if keyboard/mouse/gamepad (or some combination thereof) is used, but so is the Leap?

I actually just got my Leap in the mail today. I preordered over a year ago. Sadly, I'm pretty disappointed. All the negative reviews were spot on. It just doesn't seem ready in my opinion. I tried out four of the free apps and then I was over it. In the Orientation demo that shows your hands as awesome neon power gloves it was actually a chore to get it to register all ten fingers for more than a couple seconds without any dropping out. Most of the time it only registers two or three fingers on each hand. I have to keep my palms pretty much perfectly face down or else all of the fingers constantly pop in and disappear randomly. When you turn your hand sideways it loses orientation and only shows a single finger. The Touch for Windows was a pain. After somehow opening a random program I stopped. In the early Leap videos they made it look so natural and easy and it's just not there. Everything I've tried so far has a serious learning curve. Oh well. With software updates I'm hoping it'll get better in time.

Booradley
Honored Guest
I would just make the Leap optional. Make sure the entire game experience can be played on keyboard/mouse, but detect if a Leap controller has been plugged in and then switch over to that control scheme.

craigotron
Honored Guest
@Booradley - sounds like a plan. A slightly more complicated plan.

@totallymichael - I'm having pretty good luck with it so far, but I think the real solution is to mount the Leap to the Rift face plate. It also helps if you have a space free from clutter and even furniture parts. It's finnicky for sure, but in the meantime... SHINY NEW TOY!!! HANDS IN VR!!!!