Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

When I move my head, the image doubles, vibrates, or stutters. What is happening?

When I move my head, the image doubles, vibrates, or stutters. What is happening?

Best Answer

• ross.adminross.admin Posts: 24
    Accepted Answer

Judder (i.e. jitter in time) is an artifact that occurs when the application renders at a different rate from the display refresh rate.
    The visual effect of judder depends on the relationship between the rendering and display rates.

1. Double-vision occurs when the two rates are almost, but not quite, the same. The image rapidly oscillates between being a frame ahead and a frame behind, so image A appears to be one frame ahead of image B.
      2. Vibration occurs when the rendering rate is significantly (>25%) lower than the display rate. Objects jump back and forth.
      3. Stuttering occurs when the relationship changes over time. Objects may move smoothly and hitch, or they may move in spasms.

For strategies to solve judder, see What Causes Judder and How Can I Fix It?