Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

How to disable the health and safety warning for development purposes in 1.3?

2»

Comments

• ConstellationConstellation Posts: 211
    Art3mis
    I updated to Unity 5.4.0b21 and it seems to run and respond to head tracking even when it wants to show the HSW. My main problem is really that I get the HSW all the time; at least 5 or more times a day. I have another system with a another Rift that is not primarily used for development and I get the HSW there fairly often as well so I don't think there's anything wrong with my machine. I'm reminded of those car navigation systems which refuse to give you directions until you've acknowledged the warning about how the manufacturer is not liable if it tells you to drive down some train tracks and you get hit by a train or something. Solid advice but ultimately it does little to protect the manufacturer from liability and it's just super annoying to the driver.
  • GrocculusGrocculus Posts: 5
    I also am having a problem where sometimes the warning screen renders incorrectly and I can't see the button.  What I see is a chunk of the scene clipped against a camera frustum pointing in some random direction and black everywhere else.  Head tracking works but the content doesn't update and I can't see the button.  So I can't get through it to our application at all until I reboot or something (it stops doing this behavior at some point). 
  • lXg99lXg99 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I'll bump this thread. I am doing an installation where people can choose any of 4 Rifts to enjoy the experience. So the app has to run all day. It seems that when the HMD is not used for 10-20 minutes the timer for the health and safety warning kicks in and crashes the running app.

So does this mean that a CV1 is officially not able to run an app all day autonomously? This would be a MAJOR showstopper for us, two weeks before the exhibition open officially. While i am reading many people asking about the health and security scene i have never read any official response from Oculus.

I don't want to get rid of it per se, i just don't want it to appear while my app is running and the HMD is not used. Any help appreciated.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Sorry, the Health and Safety warning cannot be disabled. However, it should not crash the running app. If it is doing that, there is a bug somewhere.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    I agree as a user, i would love to disable that piece of crap ( sorry, could not resist ), but as a developer, there is no reason to not handle error messages from ovr_submitFrame, unless you like to crash :)
  • lXg99lXg99 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    The point is not so much that i want to disable it, my question was more what to do about these crashes/spherical environment disappears while only a frozen image of the last frame is seen on a plane, Oculus waiting cursor in the image... if there is help in the comment about ovr_submitFrame i may be too noob to see it.

Is it possible to force the HSW to be shown everytime the HMD is being used? Can i call it from out of Unity?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    If you logout and login to the Oculus app, that may trigger the HSW to appear again. I'd also try opening the Universal Menu (clicking the Xbox button on the controller) and see if you app can recover from that.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • jordibellpratjordibellprat Posts: 5
    NerveGear

We have eight oculus systems in a public exhibition. Since we use the new Rift, the HSW has to be fulfilled every time every Oculus is rebooted.
    This is time-consuming and unacceptable.
    Also because in Switzerland not everyone understands English!
    When can we expect help from oculus?

• flashASAflashASA Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    Same HSW problem on device used at non-english language museum. If we can't turn off HSW, we HAVE to can change text language. Oculus, how long you do NOT hear your clients?
  • flashASAflashASA Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    It's sad. I'll wait for text language changes...
    When you'll make region specific implementations, do not forget to correct symbols in your font for russian cyrillic 'и' and 'й' letters - now you use them 'mirrored' on site and application.

• galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    Unfortunately, due to legal reasons, we are unable to allow the disabling of HSW at this time.

@flashASA however, we are looking into making the text language region specific for non-english implementations by early next year.

What you could do, is to provide an api to disable it taking a key, that only you can sign and provid . Then dealing the key to people that, in their utilisation (museum, exhibit, work) can testimony of an external appropriate "hsw".
  • vtvt Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Unfortunately, due to legal reasons, we are unable to allow the disabling of HSW at this time.
    This is very disappointing to hear. The HSW is a complete showstopper for many professional applications in industrial and medical visualization, public displays, exhibitions, trade fairs. We've had consistent negative feedback about the HSW in our setup on various trade expos which completely defies the purpose of giving casual visitors a nice and pleasant experience.

Well alright, thanks Imperativity for clarifying the official policy of Oculus / FB on this matter.

As a sidenote, the user experience on the Vive is now pretty much identical to the Oculus, since Valve implemented native asynchronous timewarp in their latest beta drivers. Porting from the Oculus SDK to OpenVR was trivial and the platform does not have any of the HSW related legal issues that Oculus seem to have. There's one HSW when installing the drivers and that's it. So at least for us, it looks like this is going to be the way forward.
  • gagandeepchhabdagagandeepchhabda Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Guys. It is very urgent. I want to autoplay a game on oculus. But the HSW warning won't let the game run. Is there any way to remove it. It keeps blocking my test. I can't wear an HMD and authenticate it as it should be automized test. Please let me know if any hack is available.
  • lamour42lamour42 Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    Guys. It is very urgent. I want to autoplay a game on oculus. But the HSW warning won't let the game run. Is there any way to remove it. It keeps blocking my test. I can't wear an HMD and authenticate it as it should be automized test. Please let me know if any hack is available.
    That is a problem of the game, not the HSW. An application can choose to wait for HSW to be accepted or not. So if you are talking about automated testing during development just include a switch to start your game that let's it run right away without waiting for HSW. Of course the HMD will still only display the HSW, but the game will run just fine, e.g. in mirror window.
  • peterGWFpeterGWF Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    We also use VR in exhibit spaces, and the fact that the vive does not pop up the warning every time makes it an easy choice to go with vive HMD for now and not recommend oculus for our clients. Legal for vive was fine with one warning on initial setup this is overkill.
  • technicstechnics Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    For example in Assetto Corsa pc game this HSW appears every time you change a car or start a new race... So annoying... Why not to show HSW message for couple of seconds like it was previously in 0.x driver version? I don't see any legal reason why to show it every time you start a game. It's the same like warning every time when you start the computer or browser. Yes there are potential risks everywhere. For example it is not safe to press a key or mouse button. You can injure your finger if you press it too hard. It is not safe to start a browser. You can get an heart attack or virus. Is it reasonable to warn everyone everytime for everything that can happen to them? It is user's responsibility to use it safe, not Oculus responsibility.
  • ConstellationConstellation Posts: 211
    Art3mis
    http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-getting-serious-room-scale-vr-removing-experimental-tag/

[Oculus Home] 1.15 allows disabling of the health and safety reminders when putting on the headset; simply acknowledge the new safety video and you’re allowed disable the message.