Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

World scale

WalkyWalky Posts: 357
Brain Burst
edited August 2013 in Unreal Development
I'm having trouble with a demo I started working on a few weeks before I got my Rift. I designed this according to the "96 Unreal Units rule". After getting my Rift something didn't feel right (floor more or less at knee level). I made a new simple pawn and after trying different values I settled eye height at 90, which feels OK (might tune it a little later, but it's pretty acceptable). The problem is... it doesn't make sense with the editor's scale. With the pawn as it is, my eye height in-game is higher than 160 units. Is there a logical explanation for this? Is there a way to scale the complete level so I don't have to redo pretty much everything from scratch?.

Thanks.

Comments

• MrGeddingsMrGeddings Posts: 604
    Art3mis
    i find you could just try scaling the Oculus Camera you can resize the camera and that usually works without rescaling everything. but yes scale is very very important with the Rift i have noticed that. if the scale is off it just doesnt feel "right" :-p
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    Would this effectively scale the overall perception including proper separation/convergence and neck modeling?, otherwise I'll just feel like a toddler running on a toy version of my level. How can I resize the camera? I'm new to UDK and I have no camera actors (at least not one readily clickable on the editor, I mean; dunno about the script side of things), just the default view and a couple of really simple custom classes (game mode and pawn).
  • OlivierJTOlivierJT Posts: 191 Oculus Start Member
    You can't scale down the Oculus camera. (or do anything with it btw)

Please read the post : Oculus size feeling,there are info for you in there.
    viewtopic.php?f=44&t=802

It's on the same page, you should read what has been posted you know... before posting ^_^
    Cheers
    Brain Burst
    In fact, I did search and read it (and everything else I could find here and in other forums) before posting, but it didn't help at all with my problem. I also tried the changesize command before creating this thread and it just made me feel shorter (just like using a lower eye height), it didn't make the world feel any bigger. For an effective pawn resize the whole perception would have to change (separation, including neck modelling, etc) as explained in my previous post, but it seems that these settings are fixed to the world scale. It seems it is actually possible to define a custom world (not pawn) scale on a game without the need to resize all, but I have not been able to find how or where to do this.

Please note that I'm getting an inconsistent unit relation between my pawn class units and the editor units, this problem goes beyond just the real/unreal units ratio.

Information from other forums was really not helpful at all since this only becomes a real problem in VR and not in a monitor.
  • OlivierJTOlivierJT Posts: 191 Oculus Start Member
    Yes it is indeed an interesting problem, the solution also seems different from person to person (the sense of scale), It will be interesting to do some testing with a good sample of people for good mesure ^_^
    ...whole perception would have to change [...] but it seems that these settings are fixed to the world scale
    Yeah everything seems indeed not tweakable.

On my side I made a 96 tall pawn, and in the game I scale it up to 1.3 (and all the characters)
    They seems at the right size like this.

I guess I should try to replicate real object and size to see the result...
    Brain Burst
    OlivierJT wrote:
    Yes it is indeed an interesting problem, the solution also seems different from person to person (the sense of scale)

Exactly! I seem to find it very difficult to compare the real and virtual world in UDK (in contrast, VR Cinema 3D gives me a pretty nice sense of scale). Yesterday I decided to try the Epic Citadel level with the default pawn and it didn't feel so off, I think the floor textures make a difference too with perception. Or maybe I'm slightly stereo blind.

Also, it seems that almost any IPD setting over or under 64 really screws up UDK's stereo rendering. 60 (my IPD) was almost unusable (even faraway scenery objects had a big eye separation), and when I tried 70 it was completely unusable (almost looked like a 2D rendering with no overlap). I've read about an "IPD bug" on UDK so maybe this is what they mean with this.

Still, I don't think the 64 IPD is the source of my depth perception problem (if there is one), though, as Unity demos like Tuscany feel OK either at 60 or 64.

I may just keep my original pawn, post a video preview here and ask for feedback about the scale.
  • medriftmedrift Posts: 63
    Walky wrote:

Also, it seems that almost any IPD setting over or under 64 really screws up UDK's stereo rendering. 60 (my IPD) was almost unusable (even faraway scenery objects had a big eye separation), and when I tried 70 it was completely unusable (almost looked like a 2D rendering with no overlap). I've read about an "IPD bug" on UDK so maybe this is what they mean with this.

This is exactly what I found yesterday. I used the configuration utility which comes with the latest Rift SDK to measure my IPD and it comes to 61.8 so I enter this in the UDKEngine.ini and it totally screws my eyes up after a few seconds. I leave it at 0.064 now. I'm 180cm tall and roughly my eyes are 14cm from the top of my head so in the SimplePawn.uc file I've set the EyeHeight and BaseEyeHeight to 120. I used this value because I created a brush cube with a height of 180-14=166 units and when I play this level (with a World Properties - Default game type = SimpleGame) as I stand right up to the cube I can just about see the top surface. Using 1cm = 1UU seems to work when modelling if you are going to use the SimplePawn class. Not perfect but almost. Scale is tricky indeed.