Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums will be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.
New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Ramifications of setting OVRManager.runInBackground to true?

haydenjamesleehaydenjameslee Posts: 47
Brain Burst
Are there ramifications of setting OVRManager.runInBackground to true?

it's line 474 of OVRManager.cs
Tagged:

Comments

• kerskkersk Posts: 82 Oculus Staff
    OVRManager.runInBackground is a workaround that a handful of apps needed for the 1.3 release. It essentially disables our automatic handling of suspending game simulation, rendering, and audio playback when the headset is removed or when the user switches focus to Oculus Home. This does allow your game loop / C# scripts to continue running in the background, but then it's up to you to make sure your app does not impact the experience of the foreground VR app (i.e., you need to carefully manually pause rendering / music / etc).

Note that we are working on a cleaner solution that will be exposed through Unity's "run in background" checkbox and this workaround will be going away once that is available. So I'd only recommend using this if you are blocked by the current behavior.
  • haydenjamesleehaydenjameslee Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Ok awesome. We were blocked and need to use it for beta testing. Thanks for the info!
  • edmidgettedmidgett Posts: 2
    NerveGear
     Very newbie to C# and the Windows 10 file hierarchy. Could anyone please tell me where to find the file OVRManager.cs so I can fix the black screen... I can not find it with a file search anywhere on the drive. 
  • edmidgettedmidgett Posts: 2
    NerveGear
     Very newbie to C# and the Windows 10 file hierarchy. Could anyone please tell me where to find the file OVRManager.cs so I can fix the black screen... I can not find it with a file search anywhere on the drive. 
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 446
    Trinity
    It should be under assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRManager.cs