cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RELEASE] EpicDragon VR [DL link]

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Hi everybody!

We are done working on this for now, we had a great time and Im very glad to have the time test all your games now!

EpicDragon VR puts the player on the back of a dragon, soaring the skies of a strange fantasy world. The overall design is inspired by the art of epic 70's fantasy painters Roger Dean and Rodney Matthews.

The objective is to fly around collecting Eggs of Light to fight the Gods of Darkness and their oncoming eclipse devouring the sun. Pick the special Sacred Eggs to enter combo mode and rack up huge combos!

Get the windows build here! (18mb)
Get the latest updates on the game's facebook page!

We designed the game around a very instinctive and calibrated head only control scheme, using head tracking for both looking around and flying the dragon. It feels surprisingly safe in terms of motion sickness as you don't feel any disconnection between what your head does and what the gamepad makes you do. Im very interested to hear about your experiences on that.

We also chose to go for an arcade inspired gameplay with a short gameloop and a good learning curve so you're encouraged to beat the highscores.

The game is running on our own engine, already powering Shufflepuck Cantina that you can try here. Due to our optimizations and very lean tech, it should run at a good framerate on every computer.

If you're interested in the game's developpement process you can read the whole thread, there are some developpement shots and a lot of day by day progress videos.

Latest Changelog:
- New scoring system and playtime set to 90 seconds

Theres an .ini file in the game's directory, you can alter some properties there.
- [music] 0/1 Activates/Deactivates music

- [chromaticAberrationCorrection] 0/1 Color correction in Oculus' distortion Shader.

- [upscaleToHD] 0/1 Upscales to 1920x1200 (cheap AA en dev kits) (Thanks a lot Dexter111!)

- In extended display, the game will launch on the Oculus automatically.

- [fullscreen] = 1/0 = starts in fullscreen or windowed mode

- [interpupillaryDistanceMilliMeters] = 64.0 mm = sets the interpupillary distance in millimeters (please use the Oculus Rift Configuration Utility to measure your comfort distance)

-- Original post --

Seeing all the great [WIPs] around here I figured we would post some work of our jam entry here, EpicDragon VR.

We are very lucky to be a 6 people team from Agharta Studio and Black Muffin and we chose to go for something polished both graphically and control wise.

Here are some concepts we have been working on since Aug, 2nd.

Day/TotalEclipse Skies
DayNightColorboards.jpg

Dragon and tribal rider
RiderConcepts.jpg

Bad Moon Sketch
BadMoonConcepts.jpg

Here is some gameplay:

I will try to keep that thread updated as much as I can as the Jam progresses!

Thank you and good luck to all jammers!
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!
99 REPLIES 99

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Some assets made with blender, we sculpt things first then Im doing retopo by hand, usually takes some time...

The Dragon and its rider
DragonModel01.jpg

Some rocks in need of texturing
Rocks01Model01.jpg
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!

Punkerella
Honored Guest
Beautiful concepts. I look forward to playing this, dragon riding was one of the first things that popped into my head when the oculus rift came out 🙂

sporx
Adventurer
great concept art! i look forward to seeing how this develops.

sebastianp
Honored Guest
Very cool idea, good luck!!

spyro
Expert Protege
Great concept, but I would appreciate it if I could control the dragon with a game controller and use the headtracker just for looking around.

spyro

Postmodestie
Honored Guest
Super! Wanted to see something like this like forever!

ezone
Protege
Looks amazing guys - can't wait to play this! We've been playing around with head-tracking for movement too and I'm convinced this is the way to go, especially for flying.
Simon Edis - Ezone.com

nateight
Honored Guest
Well, it had to happen to someone. I spent the first week generating a website for my dragon-riding game, hoping to find some 3D modelers to pair up with the excellent concept art I commissioned. Now that I've finally finished that, it's all wasted effort - I haven't even started the game for lack of modelers, and Agharta's got a truly great start on the concept. I hope you guys keep up the excellent work, and please respond to my PM as soon as possible - it's a longshot, but I may still be useful to you. Good luck!

mouja
Explorer
It seems that this concept of dragon-riding game has many adepts. Another version may have been presented at the Ocufes in Tokyo (or will be presented, next Ocufes is 10 of August). You can find a picture of Dralus at the bottom of this website.
http://www.ocufes.jp/apps/
Until now I didn't find any demo or video of this game (probably a capture ingame, but I don't remember where I found it). The author Wizapply only released recently a small demo with a dragon, but I didn't manage to find a way to fly with the dragon). (http://t.co/C8uDfMwP9F)
According to your work in progress and the already brilliant quality of your Shufflepuck Cantina realisation, your version seems really promising.