The Ultimate Gladiator Experience
Grab your weapons, enter the coliseum, and battle to the death.
Demo is available through our release thread
It’s simple but not easy
In this game you will fight other gladiators with a sword and shield in hand to hand combat in the coliseum.
The “not easy” part of this project will be the physics. We want all sword and shield play to be driven by physics to get realistic swings, clangs, hits and parries. We also want realistic, nicely polished assets so this will be a challenge for our artist.
Features planned for this demo
The jam is quite limited in time so we have limited our feature scope to just a few things.
- Physics based sword swings and blocks
- AI characters that respond properly to physics from attacks
- Blood particles and decals
- Limb severing
- AI opponents with different weapons
Here are some shots of what we have thus far.
Gladiator Model 1st Pass
He is pretty awesome but James is almost done with his second version which is even awesomer.
1st Person View with Sword and Shield
The sword and shield are not perfectly lined up but it is still fun to swing your arms around and look at yourself in the Oculus.
Don’t Lose Your Head!
It’s just funny to look at our 1st person model from an outside camera. We have to cut off the head to put the camera there during gameplay. Please excuse all of our debug drawing (the colored lines) that’s just for development and will not be there when we are done.
Another cool screenshot of our gladiator raising his hand to make a strike.
Meet the team
We are three seasoned game developers who are totally psyched about the opportunities that virtual reality has brought to the gaming world. We would love to bring gaming to the next level using this new medium that Palmer, Carmack and many other have brought us. Below is a quick description of each member on our team.
– Programmer handling various tasks like gameplay, AI, asset handling and other project management things
– Lead Programmer handling physics, graphics, characters and lots of other hard stuff
– Lead Artist creating the gladiators, weapons, coliseum and almost any other content we need. James is also head of design for campaign mode (that will be post vrjam, of course).
As we make progress, we will keep y’all posted. We hope you are as excited about the game as we are.
Good luck Jammers!