Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[UPDATE - v1.1] Alone

Comments

• abetterbardabetterbard Posts: 37
    NerveGear
    360FOV wrote:
    You missed an excellent opportunity to have a monster kill the game toon and then very slowly look at you and climb out of the screen into the room. After it was about 2 feet from you it could disappear and then wait ten seconds and a friendly sounding female could appear on the TV and say, "I hope you enjoyed the game and thank you for playing. Don't forget to play the bonus game directly behind you." Of course, when you turn around Mr. Nasty proceeds to scare your pants off in a brutal attack. Still very fun though, nice game.

Haha! That's a great idea. There were lots of ideas we had that involved actual character models and animation, but neither of those two areas are our strong suit so we omitted them for this gamejam. Moving forward I would imagine there will be more opportunities to do events like you are suggesting.

Thanks! :)
  • dmr83457dmr83457 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I really liked Paranormal Activity so the way you went about the scary moments was great. The biggest thing I would recommend is trees and wind outside, weather getting worse as the user goes along, maybe the power flickers at certain moments, light hanging in another room bursts, lightening outside, trees scrapping against window, tree branch shadow looking like hand on window shade, etc. Not sure how best sync up with where the user is looking. You have a great base for a more engrossing experience. I could totally sit down and play for hours with the environment around me changing in relation to the game being played on the tv. Might even want to consider a twist where user has to start doing things in the "real world" :-) Well done!
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    This was great! I got right into it and had no idea what to expect, the first time the screen changed and I seen that shadow coming towards where I was sitting in the room I had the strangest cold feeling wash over my body, and all my hair stood up on end. :)
    I was a little disappointed with the ending, the sound seemed to come a little too late and it wasn't very effective imo.
    I kept hoping I would have actually turned to see something sitting beside me or standing behind me. Now that would be cool.

Overall a great job though! :)
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
    NerveGear
    CymaticBruce has posted a playthrough of many of the entries into this gamejam - including our own! Click the link in my main post or below!

CymaticBruce Playthrough! -> http://www.twitch.tv/cymaticbruce/b/454616300?t=36m36s
    FROM 36:36 TO 55:55!
  • GanjaroachGanjaroach Posts: 449
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 2013

Great demo, horror games seem to do very well in the rift I never use to be a big fan of horror games they just weren't scary enough. I guess I watched way to much Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street when I was a kid. :lol: I loved the whole game with in a game idea. The house you are sitting in is really well done and the mini game you are playing is also cool. I loved the "key" can't go wrong with bolt cutters. :D I Hope to see more of this maybe some stuff going by the windows when you look around or something coming out of the TV. All in all I really enjoyed this demo thanks for sharing and I hope y'all continue to work on it.
    NerveGear
    Awesome! Thank you so much Ganjaroach! I'll add your video to the main post.

Everyone's feedback is so appreciated and will absolutely help shape this idea moving forward. Thanks for the support! :D
    Hiro Protagonist
    Awesome! Thank you so much Ganjaroach! I'll add your video to the main post.

Everyone's feedback is so appreciated and will absolutely help shape this idea moving forward. Thanks for the support! :D

Np I really enjoyed this game and since you aren't moving my gf was able to enjoy it too. ( she gets super sick on any game that moves. lol)
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,847
    Neo
    the first time the screen changed and I seen that shadow coming towards where I was sitting in the room I had the strangest cold feeling wash over my body, and all my hair stood up on end. :)

Same here, big time.

Great experience! :) Amazed at all the polish going into both of the virtual realities here. And the tension between the two is just insane when you don't know what to expect!
  • ProfessorEABProfessorEAB Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    drash wrote:
    And the tension between the two is just insane when you don't know what to expect!

I completely agree. A lesser developer would have tried to bash you over the head with sensory overload and cheap scares - whereas this managed to tow the line perfectly, creating an incredibly tense and original experience. Very Hitchcock-ian.
  • Is it me or is the game playing on a Phantom console? :lol:
    phantomprototype.jpg
  • I just reviewed this game, Awesome experience!

Thanks for watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAdKUs-qvBw
    Join the VR Brotherhood: http://bit.ly/1iUAjuf
    Our Youtube Channel!: https://www.youtube.com/user/VRBrotherhood/videos
    NerveGear
    Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all the feedback and video reviews!
    We wanted to let everyone know that we are continuing development on Alone, and that you can find out more information about us and future Alone development in the coming days on our website.

http://www.greenwoodgames.com

Also! For at least the next few hours I'll be present in this reddit thread if anyone has any questions or comments about our game:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1mgrka/this_is_the_type_of_horror_experience_on_the_rift/?sort=new

Take care and good riftin'!
  • Awesome to see my Playthrough on your website! =)
    Join the VR Brotherhood: http://bit.ly/1iUAjuf
    Our Youtube Channel!: https://www.youtube.com/user/VRBrotherhood/videos
  • 3Dmon3Dmon Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    This concept is great ! I would really love to see a more fleshed out and polished version of this experience. Good job!
  • Bossman207Bossman207 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I can't post a thread yet, but since I thought about it while watching a video of Alone, I thought I'd share here.

Would be nice if there were a hotkey thy could allow for a pip window of a live webcam. The idea is you could look at yourself, or more importantly, behind yourself at a quick glance using a webcam. Press a key, I can see no fire behind me, press again, little video window goes away. No need to take of the headset.
    NerveGear
    Bossman207 wrote:
    I can't post a thread yet, but since I thought about it while watching a video of Alone, I thought I'd share here.

Would be nice if there were a hotkey thy could allow for a pip window of a live webcam. The idea is you could look at yourself, or more importantly, behind yourself at a quick glance using a webcam. Press a key, I can see no fire behind me, press again, little video window goes away. No need to take of the headset.

That's a pretty solid idea! I think for some games it would break immersion, but I absolutely think the idea has legs and would not be surprised if I see it implemented in the future. As game length gets longer and nausea tolerance increases, I can see the "need" to not take off your Rift rise.

Thanks for posting! Ha! :D
  • Bossman207Bossman207 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    It's almost something that should be part of the main drivers/control panel. Setting up your "reality check" cam and hotkey.
    NerveGear
    Sorry for the delay on this everyone! I've uploaded a new version (v1.1) with various bug fixes. Changes are below and on the main post! If anyone has any issue with this download or finds any problems with the build please let me know!

Thanks! :D

New In Patch v1.1
    Bug Fixes:
    -Added some missing collision that caused players to go places they weren't supposed to
    -Added sparkle effect to arrows to better illustrate the use of them
    -Increased lighting in some dark areas to better aid progression
    -Fixed various "spooky events" that were causing trouble
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I thought this was really good up until the end.
    The ending was just anti-climactic and seemed a waste of such a good concept. I would have liked to see things popping out of the screen, or some monster come into the room or something. Lots of potential here.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    I thought this was really good up until the end.
    The ending was just anti-climactic and seemed a waste of such a good concept. I would have liked to see things popping out of the screen, or some monster come into the room or something. Lots of potential here.
    Our main hurdle for this gamejam was definitely resources and time. We have lots of great ideas for the ending but we didn't want to deliver a submission with a janky-looking 'anything' at the end.

Now that we have time and resources we are addressing a plethora of comments and critiques, chiefly among them the same one you gave. Think of this as the tech-demo to a much more robust and exciting experience.
    NerveGear
    Hey everyone!

We're so happy that everyone is enjoying Alone as much as we had developing it! We wanted to stop in and let everyone know we are launching a Kickstarter Campaign in October to continue development. More information will be coming down the pipe soon, and we encourage those who want to stay informed to stay-tuned on our Facebook, on Twitter, or sign up for our newsletter on the Contact portion of our website!

Greenwood Games Website

Twitter

Facebook
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 593
    Nexus 6
    Played it just now. Really good concept, meta-game is interesting enough to keep you occupied. Also you play it while sitting which seems to be perfect for the moment. Let's see how the game develops - really interested too see what you come up with next.
  • NakidNakid Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hi guys,

I have to say, this is one of the best VR demos I've played so far and I can't wait to see the full game after the Kickstarter :) I'm backer #21 ;)

I streamed a few games the other night in a new segment that I'm testing out and Alone was the first one I did. I start playing Alone at about 6 minutes in.

For those that haven't seen it yet, their Kickstarter is here:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/928803758/alone-1?ref=live
  • ceglicegli Posts: 436
    Anyone else having frame rate issues with this game? I'm not sure if it's just something up with my setup... I have a 7970, and can't get it to go above 45fps regardless of the resolution. I've tried 1280x800, 1920x1080, AA forced off, etc. Haven't had frame rate issues with any other Unity game so far.

I would love to try it if I can get it to run properly! I will play around with my settings further if I'm the only one having this problem.
  • I love this! Can't wait for the full version!
  • pewziepewzie Posts: 70
    Really great idea. Looks incredibly creepy.
  • I've seen videos of this game and loved the idea of it so wanted to play it myself now that I've got an oculus rift - but it is pretty jerky for me when I move my head around. I tried it on lower resolution and quality settings but no change. Running on a fairly high spec PC (Nvidia 670 graphics card, Intel i7 CPU, 16 GB of RAM) and I haven't had any problems with other oculus games so I don't think my setup is the problem. Any ideas?
  • KManKMan Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I also have frame rate issues, although I'm running on a 2011 Macbook Pro, windows 7 bootcamp.

I wanna play this game, but I want to experience it with a reasonable frame rate.

Is anybody else have issues with the frame rate?
  • I know that Alone is more supernatural oriented, but as someone who is terrified of "Grey" type aliens, if at the end you turned your head and this peeked from behind the corner...

pure nightmare material.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Really such this didn't reach its goal on the kick starter... Hopefully y'all try again at some point!