cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Animations in UE4 for Rift

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Guys,

I come from an animation/vfx background and I'm really interested in creating some content for the rift. I use Maya and I have an animation I wanted to port over to VR but I will need to build it from scratch again as nothing exists behind the camera etc and there is a lot of trickery done in Maya but that's no biggie. 

I've been using UE4 for the last few months and learning blue-prints, I don't have much developer experience, but been learning some C++ again as I did study it a little in university. 

I was wondering if UE4 has a simple way of implementing VR into a scene, so can I drag and drop a 'VR camera' in a scene or make one using blueprints?

I was also wondering if anyone here has created an animation before in UE4 and has any advice? I haven't imported any animation from Maya before so not sure how tricky that is going to be. Would you recommended building assets and animation separately in Maya and putting it all together in UE4 or can I just build the whole scene + animation in Maya and import it all at once. Not really sure where to start! :smiley: 

Many thanks and sorry if I've completely missed some obvious anwser/docs online!
2 REPLIES 2

steelfly
Explorer
Hi, if you have "baked" animations from 3D Max or Maya its pretty simple to use them in UE or Unity.
You'll need some stop/start controllers though or it will run automaticaly with game start.

Youcan find more on Youtube — there are some nice tutorials and no programming skills required.

Anonymous
Not applicable

steelfly said:

Hi, if you have "baked" animations from 3D Max or Maya its pretty simple to use them in UE or Unity.
You'll need some stop/start controllers though or it will run automaticaly with game start.

Youcan find more on Youtube — there are some nice tutorials and no programming skills required.

Great, I will research into those things, thanks so much!