Stuttering when using CV1 the first time after the PC was on for some hours — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Stuttering when using CV1 the first time after the PC was on for some hours

FlauschFlausch Posts: 15
NerveGear
I have a strange problem, when using my CV1 after the PC was already running for some time:
Inside Oculus Home and every other programm I get a very jumpy image and the sound is crackling and stuttering.

The device dialog inside Oculus Home shows a warning, that there is too much latency detected.

The only solution is to either reboot or disconnect and reconnect USB.

My specs:
Intel i7 6700k
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Asus Maximus Hero VIII
16 GB RAM
Windows 10

The problem existed also with my previous GTX 970.

When I start playing right after booting, the problem does not appear, even when using my rift for hours in Elite Dangerous or switching between different games.

I suspect the Maximus Hero's USB or some Asus programm that came with it to cause the problem. But that's just a guess.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,248 Valuable Player
    Try reinstalling your sound card drivers or onboard sound drivers. So this only happens if you don't start a game straight away? Because you said you can play Elite Dangerous for hours without a problem?
  • FlauschFlausch Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    edited June 2016
    Yes, it only happens, when the computer is running for some hours and then I put on my rift.
    But why do you suspect soundcard drivers? The rift is not using any soundcard, but it works as a standalone soundcard.

I just found a thread describing the same problem:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37589/rift-performance-slows-down-over-time-reboot-helps

• tommettommet Posts: 107
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have the exact same issue.  It's most likely a memory leak somewhere in the Home software or Rift drivers.  The stutter only shows up with the Rift, no other software has this issue.
    Hiro Protagonist
    While it's kludgy, I just reboot before playing if I see stutter.  With windows 10 and an ssd, that takes about 10 seconds.
  • FlauschFlausch Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    edited June 2016
    My solution is even faster: close Oculus Home, disconnect and reconnect USB and you're done.

But I'd still prefer a real bugfix for that.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,248 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    Flausch said:
    Yes, it only happens, when the computer is running for some hours and then I put on my rift.
    But why do you suspect soundcard drivers? The rift is not using any soundcard, but it works as a standalone soundcard.

I just found a thread describing the same problem:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37589/rift-performance-slows-down-over-time-reboot-helps

Because I used to get this when I had issues with sound drivers on my Pc. I did hear that something is bugged with the Graphics cards and Oculus Home though, but it's mainly to do with AMD cards. I saw a post about it on DCS World forums. Maybe it's to do with the sound drivers the Oculus uses, but as soon as you mentioned crackling that's what I used to get and it was driver related. I think it's something only Oculus can fix.
  • Bavinck1331Bavinck1331 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016
    Not sure it will help but I have the same motherboard as you and had to uninstall aisuite to get rid of this problem. Never had the issue since.
    Doesn't solve it for everyone though
    Hiro Protagonist
    Still get this issue.  I'm running a z170 pro gaming MB, 32 gb ram, with an Asus Strix 970.  I have aisuite, but it's not running.  (I will try uninstalling this just in case.)  
    Hiro Protagonist
    I do note that there are new USB drivers (ASM1142 Driver V1.16.33.1) that are stated to "Improve USB device compatibility, eg. Oculus VR."  gonna try those as well.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well, one of those two seemed to help.  I'm betting it was the new USB drivers.
  • Arc8ngelArc8ngel Posts: 43 Oculus Start Member
    If your issue still isn't resolved, check that you're not using wifi on the 2.4Ghz band.  The radio signals can interfere with the tracker, causing stutters and re-positioning.
  • Ricktor_BlackRicktor_Black Posts: 198
    Art3mis
    I have almost the same exact issues.  And we have a very similar setup as well. 

6700K, 16Gb Ram
    with the same Motherboard and a GTX 970 in Windows 10.

When I first boot up the PC and put on the Rift everything is golden and runs super smooth.  If I leave the PC running and try a few different things... come back in a few hours.. the sound and video stutter.  It seems to get worse over time because I've had it so bad a few times it was unplayable.  As soon as I reboot it's fine.
  • elrealchiquielrealchiqui Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    I see the answer in the thread title : "PC was on for some hours"
    Your computer is not a machine, it needs to rest before efforts ! Wait... what ?
    Art3mis
    Ok, so I updated the ASUS USB drivers (which actually mention Oculus) and it was good for a while, then happened again.  I then updated to the latest version of the ASUS BIOS... it was ok for a bit then happened again.  I then uninstalled the AISUITE and all of it's components... and so far it's good.  I've had my PC on all day and every time I've picked up my Rift it's been it's been fine!  So it looks like I may have finally fixed the problem?!  I'll have to wait and see how it is in the long run.

Thanks Bavinck1331!!
    Art3mis
    Ok, so I updated the ASUS USB drivers (which actually mention Oculus) and it was good for a while, then happened again.  I then updated to the latest version of the ASUS BIOS... it was ok for a bit then happened again.  I then uninstalled the AISUITE and all of it's components... and so far it's good.  I've had my PC on all day and every time I've picked up my Rift it's been fine.  A may have finally fixed it.  Thanks Bavinck1331!
    Art3mis
    Ok, so I updated the ASUS USB drivers (which actually mention Oculus) and it was good for a while, then happened again.  I then updated to the latest version of the ASUS BIOS... it was ok for a bit then happened again.  I then uninstalled the AISUITE and all of it's components... and so far it's good.  I've had my PC on all day and every time I've picked up my Rift it's been fine.  A may have finally fixed it.  Thanks Bavinck1331!
  • dreadnbutterdreadnbutter Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    asus maximus hero viii with ai suite running had same issues.  I was pointed to your thread and uninstalled ai suite.. so far.. no more issues!!