cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RELEASE] RogueCraft (DOWNLOAD LINK FIXED)

marchansenj
Honored Guest
Getting started to begin development on my JAM entry again. If anyone has any comments or feedback that they would like to see incorporated into the build plan I am all ears.
New Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dd16kft02v5wzz/RogueCraft.zip

Here is my entry RogueCraft
New Download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dd16kft02v5wzz/RogueCraft.zip

screen7.png

Description
Game Title: RougeCraft
A rougelike VR Space simulator which places you in command of your own shuttle with the goal of surviving a long journey home. The journey home consists of encounters connected by Jumps thru space.
Your shuttle is equipped with many state of the art systems to aide in your survival.

PLAY TIPS:
Each time you Jump thru space an additional Pirate is added, by the final level you will facing 6 pirates at once. Use Boost and Cloak to split them up and avoid initial damage.

When you are attacked there is a chance that the enemy shot will disable one of your systems this is indicated by a YELLOW MESSAGE and SOUND be sure to keep an eye on your SYSTEMS CONSOLE to ensure that all systems have power.

Some systems when lost can mean your CERTAIN DOOM, like SHIELDS, HULL, or IMPULSE. If one of these Systems goes down make sure to BOOST/REPAIR/CLOAK while you restore power and wait for the system to reboot.

If Weapons loses power you will no longer have a cross-hair which will make aiming and firing tough.

When Shields are restored they will be at 0 so make sure and Repair after your Shields have had power restored otherwise it will take a while for them to regenerate on their own.

Controls:
FLIGHT CONTROLS:
(S) PITCH UP
(W) PITCH DOWN
(A) YAW LEFT
(D)YAW RIGHT
(Q)ROLL LEFT
(E)ROLL RIGHT

ACTIONS:
(LEFT-CLICK) FIRE CURRENT WEAPON
(RIGHT-CLICK) IMPLUSE
(TAB) CHANGES TARGET

(1) ENERGY: DAMAGES SHIELDS
(2) MATTER: DAMAGES HULL
(3) BOOST: SPEED INCREASE
(4) REPAIR: REPLENISH SHIELDS
(5) CLOAK: HIDE FROM RADAR
(0) JUMP: ENABLE HYPERSPEED

HAND CONTROL MODE:
(HOLD-SHIFT + MOUSE) LEFT HAND
(HOLD-SPACE + MOUSE) RIGHT HAND
(LEFT-CLICK) EXECUTE SYSTEM
(RIGHT-CLICK) TOGGLE POWER
24 REPLIES 24

Magmasteer
Honored Guest
Well done, had a lot of fun playing this. I'm still gaining my VR legs and have suffered a lot of VR sickness, but this is the first game i've played that didn't make me feel queezy

Is there a way to recenter the camera in game? I find that the center tends to shift after looking around a bit

marchansenj
Honored Guest
Thanks MagmaSteer so glad you enjoyed it.

I think that fact that your character is sitting and looking thru a port helps with the VR sickness.

As far as re-centering the camera; unfortunately nothing is in place right now but I will make sure and add it as I plan to continue working on it.

novahux
Honored Guest
Awesome work, like prev, i got not motion dizzy at all, its begging for razor hydra support 🙂 (just don't make it surgeon simulator clumsy :lol: )

Sawersadam
Honored Guest
Downloading now, report to follow in a few hours!

Ananas
Explorer
Cool, one of the best space sims of VRjam I've played.
Using the control table with your virtual hands was a nice plus. Scale was perfect too. Took a while to realise what those controls did but it was nice when you figured it out. Everything was readable, though it took some time for the text to appear and thus making the intro a bit long.

Camera shifted a bit every now and then but it corrected after jumps and it was great. The background space seemed to wrap oddly when you turned your head.

Didn't make it to the end but going to finish it some time.

marchansenj
Honored Guest
"novahux" wrote:

Awesome work, like prev, i got not motion dizzy at all, its begging for razor hydra support 🙂 (just don't make it surgeon simulator clumsy :lol: )

Thanks novahux, I agree razor support would be cool, I have been thinking about ordering one.

"Ananas" wrote:
it took some time for the text to appear and thus making the intro a bit long.

Thanks Ananas, I completely agree; you can just pound on the space bar to skip thru it.

"Ananas" wrote:
The background space seemed to wrap oddly when you turned your head.

Yeah I have noticed this too I set up my custom skybox as directed by the OVR SDK so I don't really know whats causing it or how to make it go away.

Sorry the levels are so generic I had plans to have 4 different types of encounters (similar to FTL) with different types of NPCs, a hailing system, ship leveling up etc. But I didn't budget my time well enough and yesterday at 5pm I didn't have any levels. Ended up wasting too much time on pond5 and the like looking for soundeffects and spent WAY too much time in GIMP/Blender making icons/textures considering I am not an artist.

Next time, if I do another JAM I am going to be sure to try and find an artist and sound designer.

Thanks for playing!

getnamo
Honored Guest
This was fun 😃

Some oomph in the ship dynamics wouldn't have hurt, but overall very impressed!
Current Project: Skycall

marchansenj
Honored Guest
"getnamo" wrote:
This was fun 😃

Best compliment I could receive! Thanks you made my day.
"marchansenj" wrote:
Some oomph in the ship dynamics wouldn't have hurt, but overall very impressed!

I agree with the sentiment, I spent the better half of Saturday looking for the magic bullet to juice it up and ended up adding the Boost.

Since I am brand new to game development (been writing business apps my whole life) any chance you can point me in the right direction on how to add some oomph to the ship dynamics? Right now the ship is controlled using AddForce and AddRelativeTorque, however the enemy AI is all manual collision avoidance.
Thanks!

getnamo
Honored Guest
Since I am brand new to game development (been writing business apps my whole life) any chance you can point me in the right direction on how to add some oomph to the ship dynamics? Right now the ship is controlled using AddForce and AddRelativeTorque, however the enemy AI is all manual collision avoidance.
Thanks!

In space its hard to feel distance, because everything is far away. If i'm traveling but the surrounding stays very similar how can I perceive it? It's why some of the most successful space sims are filled with things, asteroids, planets, big and small. My old favorite is X-wing alliance, combining good story telling with sense of scale, importance and a whole lot of impressive space combat.

So in short, to know you're travelling you need references, oomph I believe comes from fine tuning the movement dynamics to your environment and sensing that scale.
Current Project: Skycall