cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are anybody using CryENGINE

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are anybody using CryENGINE 3? And why not?

With Unity you need to fork up 1500 to even be able to create anything usefull. With UDK you get a great tool and all features "for free", but it's not the latest one. But with CryENGINE you get a great tool and it is the latest one and it's just as "free" as the UDK - and it has native support for the Rift!

I've been looking at videos for the UDK and they are great. But wanted to try CryENGINE simply because it's been naggin me that the UDK is "not the latest thecnology". However, learning CryENGINE seem problematic as there is no good videos. Only how to do this and that, not a course as with UDK (for example from 3D Buzz).

Is this why people don't use CryENGINE? Because the documentation and course materials are lacking?
33 REPLIES 33

andrew3d
Honored Guest
CryEngine is not too difficult to learn. They have a great documentation and resources at http://doc.crydev.net nd Digital Tutors also has some great tutorials for CryEngine as well. I think it's a good engine to learn now that they are adding native Oculus support. It's fairly intuitive but like any other engine, it has its qwerks. For example, importing textures and OBJ's isn't as straight forward because you need to convert them to .cgfs and .dds files.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"andrew3d" wrote:
CryEngine is not too difficult to learn. They have a great documentation and resources at http://doc.crydev.net nd Digital Tutors also has some great tutorials for CryEngine as well. I think it's a good engine to learn now that they are adding native Oculus support. It's fairly intuitive but like any other engine, it has its qwerks. For example, importing textures and OBJ's isn't as straight forward because you need to convert them to .cgfs and .dds files.

Thanx! Digital Tutors it just what I've been looking for. I will do the first 6 free lessons for CryENGINE and if they are good I'll go all in.

hesham
Protege
I'd recommend looking at: http://docs.cryengine.com/ (the extra s changes everything) for the latest CryEngine 3 docs. I've started playing around with it recently and though it is Windows-only, they did look to hire a Linux developer at some point which leads one to believe that OSX and Linux support might both be coming since they both use OpenGL. I have yet to try my Rift with it but the results you can produce with it quickly are unparalleled in the free engines out there 🙂

Plus they have a C++ SDK which gives you some pretty deep access which is also useful. Its a shame UDK doesn't. Unity has decent access but you'd need the pro for full plugin support and the results don't look as good out of the box if you're a lowly programmer 🙂 I'm excited to play around with CryEngine for now.

Good luck!

Maximezero
Honored Guest
"hesham" wrote:
I'd recommend looking at: http://docs.cryengine.com/ (the extra s changes everything) for the latest CryEngine 3 docs. I've started playing around with it recently and though it is Windows-only, they did look to hire a Linux developer at some point which leads one to believe that OSX and Linux support might both be coming since they both use OpenGL. I have yet to try my Rift with it but the results you can produce with it quickly are unparalleled in the free engines out there 🙂

Plus they have a C++ SDK which gives you some pretty deep access which is also useful. Its a shame UDK doesn't. Unity has decent access but you'd need the pro for full plugin support and the results don't look as good out of the box if you're a lowly programmer 🙂 I'm excited to play around with CryEngine for now.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

3DEA
Honored Guest
Try to find the documentations for cryengine.
time for reality check.

Lane
Honored Guest
Very few indies use CE because its significantly harder to actually get anything done with it in comparison to Unity/UDK.

Applemung
Honored Guest
I've started using CryEngine and in the same amount of time that it took me to make an extremely simple shooter in Unity from knowing nothing about unity, I've only managed to successfully import one object in CryEngine. It's not that it is normally hard to do so but if you want everything free it gets tedious. For instance, if you have maya then no problem, just push the export button and you can get the required files to be exported with little difficulty. But if you are using blender, then you have issues. Blender does not natively export .CGF and thus you have to download the add on to blender (Cryblend) to export the required files. That is the easy part, you have to make sure that the model you have created has been done in some arbitrarily specific fashion and textures applied in a certain way otherwise you get gobblediegoo appear in the scene rather than your original object. I'm not saying it can't be done but it takes a little while to learn the proper processes to get a clean and usable object into CryEngine.

This is coming from a complete noob though, I have little experience in modeling and using game engines. So it might just be that!

fezvez
Honored Guest
I know it's not really what you are asking for, but the guys behind Star Citizen (most successful crowd sourcing project of all time) and Kingdom Come : Deliverance are both promising Oculus Rift support, and are both using the CryEngine.

The only gripe I have is that both games are not designed for the Rift from the ground up, so the experience may not be 100% immersive.

ivanhawkes
Honored Guest
I'm currently working on a project using CryEngine and would love to add Oculus Rift support, but I'm going to wait until the new Cove headset is available. There's just no sense getting the last gen technology when the next gen is potentially so close.

After I finish the SDK integration I'll release a copy to the community so everyone can enjoy Oculus Rift with this awesome engine.