cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue line at the edge of the screen in Unity 5.3.5

Zachariasz
Honored Guest
Hello,

I recently upgraded to unity 5.3.5. After that, I noticed a white line at the edge of the screen in my applications. So I connected DK2 and removed the lenses. Here's what I saw
The line is present in both screens, at the side closer to center.

That was not a problem in old version (I can't recall the number, but it was the last version to support 0.6 runtime).
An application I used to test was quite simple: just a basic scene with custom skybox.

Is it a common problem? Is there something I can do to fix it?
3 REPLIES 3

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
I noticed a white line at the edge of the screen in my applications.
Did you first notice the issue in the main monitor preview? What you are seeing is probably the "occlusion mask" we use to save GPU resources on pixels that normally aren't visible in the Rift. Is the problem still present in 5.3.5p5? That version zooms in the preview to hide the mask. DK2 benefits a lot less from the occlusion mask than the consumer Rift does. You can disable the occlusion mask by using the Oculus Utilities in your app.

Zachariasz
Honored Guest
Thank you for your replay.

It seems like I found the issue. An artifact occurs when using regular unity camera and an old version of OVRPlayerController. A new one works fine.

A few more, for clarification:
1. There is no artifact on regular display, just in HMD
2. "Blue line" is actually 2 lines: blue and green. I called it blue cause only this one was visible in photo.
3. "Blue line" looks white when the lenses are mounted.
4. Bug occurs in f1 and p5.

And just out of curiosity: which component should I use to disable the occlusion mask?

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
An artifact occurs when using regular unity camera and an old version of OVRPlayerController.

What version of OVRPlayerController has the problem? 0.6? It hasn't changed much since then and shouldn't be doing any extra rendering except maybe with OVRTrackerBounds, which you can remove.

which component should I use to disable the occlusion mask?
OVRManager. If you have one in the scene at all, it will currently turn off the occlusion mesh. That is temporary and we will probably stop disabling it for Unity 5.3.5p5 and up.