Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums will be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.
New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Networking, Server and Oculus Platform

Hiya

Im currently working on the networking portion of my experience, and have been dabbling with photon. (for Unity)
It sort of does what I want. Have connected with a friend and chat via voice etc.

However. Im wondering a few things

Looking more into the oculus platform, it seems to have quite a few useful networking  tools.
Rooms, Cloud data, Voice over IP etc.  It looks like almost everything except the actual server based gameplay is supported.
Wondering the pros/cons of using these oculus features, vs  the same on photon.

Im guessing Photon allows more flexibility for other users outside of the Oculus world (Vive etc).
The oculus Platform however most likely integrates better with Cv and GearVr?

What are people's experience here. Also...if the Photon cloud is not powerful enough, what other solutions are people successfully  using (unity supported and dedicated server services). Would like something that would allow happily say rooms of 20-40 ppl. And could be both dynamic and perpetually ongoing. (Photon exits after last use leaves etc, but at the moment Im not to worried.)

Also. Looking into the "Rooms" on the platform. What does that actually mean in reality.
Would I basically setup a front end in Unity, as if it was a lobby for say photon (if that was my main gameplay server) and mirror photons rooms to the Oculus rooms? So I let Oculus Platform do the multiplayer connection logic, and transfer that to photon to implement on the ir cloud servers.

Are there any good examples of all of this that I can dissect and look closer into?

Cheers

-P
Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

Comments

• pjennesspjenness Posts: 665
    Neo
    edited August 2016
    Just bumping this one.

Questions are still mainly valid.

At the moment Im using photon cloud, which sets up the room etc. Im grabbing the OculusId from the unity OVRPlatform and that gets passed thru the stream so everyone can see each other's oculus ID. And effectively in photon rooms. I can call the OVR platform functions easily enough.

However.Im guessing I should be somehow using OVR platform rooms as well.
    The benefit being better interaction with the OVR platform features. Like native platform friends lists ,acheivements etc (instead of sending them thru photon streams.

How does that actually look practically. Since OVR Platform doesnt host etc I'd still need something like photon cloud or server to do the gameplay,

Do I effectively just have photon AND OVR rooms at the same time?

Is there any benefit of OVR voice over photon Voice?

Are there any examples of what this might look like in practice? Has anyone got photon and OVR rooms synced ?

Cheers

-P

• cloud_canvascloud_canvas Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    I know this post over two years old now, but if you're still around, I'm curious where you ended up getting to with this tech stack decision. I'm at exactly the same place in my development process right now as well. I built out a basic boilerplate using only Oculus P2P and then another with PUN 2, and while PUN 2/Photon Voice 2 seem like the clear choice moving forward, Photon do not really spell out for you what the proper relationship between Oculus Rooms/Parties and Photon Rooms should be. Do they just stand alongside each other in parallel, with PUN making Platform calls based off of the Room established by Oculus?
    Looking forward to what you have to say.
    Samsung Galaxy S8 (Snapdragon 835), Gear VR (2017), Oculus Go, Unity 2018.2.6f1
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 665
    Neo

I gave up   LOL