Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

How can I test/run my app on Gear VR?

yanuartyanuart Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hi,
Noob here and I've been spending a day trying to figure out the development workflow for Gear VR app with Unity.
I've done this
1. Did all the mobile/device setup, got my osig and everything
2. Set my GR VR to debug mode
3. Create a scene and put an OVRCameraRig 
4. Manage to build and run the app properly on my S7 which shows the app running in VR mode

So I though I was doing something right but the problem is I can't test the headtracking cause the phone isn't in the GearVR. If I try to put it inside GearVR (the phone needs to connect to the microUSB attachment), it'll automatically load Occulus App and I can't seem to find a way to load my build or even installed my build so it can be shown in my Occulus center.

I've been reading and searching on this site for hours..
Help..

Thanks

Comments

• jbuezajbueza Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2016
    yanuart said:
    Hi,
    Noob here and I've been spending a day trying to figure out the development workflow for Gear VR app with Unity.
    I've done this
    1. Did all the mobile/device setup, got my osig and everything
    2. Set my GR VR to debug mode
    3. Create a scene and put an OVRCameraRig 
    4. Manage to build and run the app properly on my S7 which shows the app running in VR mode

So I though I was doing something right but the problem is I can't test the headtracking cause the phone isn't in the GearVR. If I try to put it inside GearVR (the phone needs to connect to the microUSB attachment), it'll automatically load Occulus App and I can't seem to find a way to load my build or even installed my build so it can be shown in my Occulus center.

I've been reading and searching on this site for hours..
    Help..

Thanks

Hi Yanuart!

I went through the same problems. Testing development builds on the GearVR is super painful -- that's why I built ConstructVR for the community. It allows you to easily distribute and test GearVR apps over the air and it also lets you invite testers/collaborators so you can get their feedback. When it installs your GearVR app, it shows up on the Android home screen, so you just tap that and you're good to go, it'll launch your app from there.

It automates the OSig process so that even non-technical users can easily jump in and test your development builds. I've posted it in the Unreal and Unity forums and they seem to have found it valuable for the time savings, so I thought I'd post it here too. Hope it helps!

Cheers,
    Jaime
  • HeadacheFromParisHeadacheFromParis Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Or simply you can add the sig file and resign the whole thing. 
  • squidbeamsquidbeam Posts: 89 Oculus Start Member
    Does your app launch if not connected to the Gear VR? This is odd, mine will ask you to plug in the Gear VR once launched... are you sure you're building in with the 'Support VR' checked on in Unity (it is one of the Player options).  The way I do it is do exactly what you did, I then transfer the apk to the phone, install it and then run it. It'll then ask me to plug it to the Gear VR.
  • jbuezajbueza Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    squidbeam said:
    Does your app launch if not connected to the Gear VR? This is odd, mine will ask you to plug in the Gear VR once launched... are you sure you're building in with the 'Support VR' checked on in Unity (it is one of the Player options).  The way I do it is do exactly what you did, I then transfer the apk to the phone, install it and then run it. It'll then ask me to plug it to the Gear VR.
    Hi @squidbeam

Is it that you want to launch the app without having to put it into the GearVR headset? In order to do that, you can just enable developer mode for the Gear VR Service:

Hope that helps! By the way, @HeadacheFromParis  -- I agree with you, it's a lot easier to just add the osig and then resign it, but if you're dealing with thousands of devices at scale for enterprise distribution it becomes impossible and time consuming. 

Cheers,
    Jaime Bueza
  • augusty84augusty84 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thanks JBueza and yanuart for posting this. 

It drove me crazy too as I used to develop with the note 4 and all I had to do was put the apk in a special folder, to open the apps in the Gear.  Still cannot find where to put them. 

But due to the question and comments here, I found that THERE IS ANOTHER DEVELOPER MODE: in the Gear VR Service.  This will then start the newly created app in VR mode and then you put it in the headset!  I am building from Unity3d so after a build and run it would go to the white screen and say put the app in the headset but nothing would happen.  Setting up the Gear VR Service Developer mode will start the app in run mode with the double view ports.

Follow the link below and all will work:
    https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/mobilesdk/latest/concepts/mobile-troublesh-device-run-app-outside/

Make sure you do this once or twice as it toggles the statement: "You are not a developer" and "You are a developer"  It also gives you the option to place a shortcut to your main screens for easy access.