cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a full body for VR?

Glightgames
Protege
Hi devs,

I don't come from a 3D background, I'm a programmer.
I wanted to ask what the best way was to create a full character, for a VR game?

As in if I look down I see a torso, legs and feet.
I've tested this a few times and get the camera clipping issue allowing me to see through my body.
So should we be making models without heads?

Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

Fulby
Heroic Explorer
You'd want to remove the head from the model and close off the neck (if it isn't done already). You'll also need the near clip plane of the camera to be really close which may lead to z-fighting problems (in my game I have a pilot's torso and have to use two cameras as one can't handle a range of 0.1 to 50000).

You may find the end result is more jarring than immersive. I think the current view is showing a body which doesn't match the player's brings them out of the experience more than showing nothing. It's why most games for the Vive have disembodied hands and no visible arms, because you can't track the player's arms accurately.

Glightgames
Protege
Thanks Fulby,

I'm trying something a little different after playing with a PSVR demo, going to try incorporating IK movements.

Fulby
Heroic Explorer
Good luck, hope you crack the problem - it would be great to have an full body avatar in VR.

pjenness
Rising Star
Seeing your own body is actually a bit disconcerting unless done very well. As any misalignment feels weird.
Its actually often better to just not..except in front of a mirror.

peterept
Protege
I have a blog post on how to do this:

http://talesfromtherift.com/vr-avatars/

Good luck!

Glightgames
Protege
Very nice blog, so detailed.
Thanks for the link!