Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Particle effects

saarwiisaarwii Posts: 31
Brain Burst
So I am trying to achieve a decent looking storm cloud effect. I think what I have right now looks pretty good, at least in the editor. When i run on my Gear VR the particles "pivot" when you turn your head in a wierd way that makes the whole ting look woonky. I have read that this is a problem with particle effects and VR but i haven found that much about what the cause of the problem is or how to create a good smoke/cloud effect in unity that is suitable for VR. Any input, tips or simple explanations on the subject would be appreciated.

Comments

• FulbyFulby Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    I had this - it's because the particles are aligned so that:
    The Z/forward axis of the particle faces the camera - this is fine
    The Y/up axis matches the up axis of the camera - so when the user tilts their head the billboard tilts too.

There are other alignment options in the particle system but I don't know the correct combination. Look into the simulation space (main tab), and render mode (render tab).

I didn't use particles for this in the end because I was creating billboards for an asteroid field which would be stationary and permanent once created. Instead I used quads with a sprite texture, and wrote a script which realigned the billboards to face the camera but use an 'up' I specified (and only does so every N frames so save CPU cost). This results in a stable orientation and the billboards are still batched to one draw call.
  • saarwiisaarwii Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Thanks! I will try something similar!