cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Gear VR] Vulkan API support soon ?

motorsep
Rising Star
Just wondering if Oculus already working toward Vulkan API implementation in Mobile SDK (that's what UE4 Vulkan dev told me) for UE4. I know it's kinda early since Android N isn't out yet, but nevertheless it's good to know we'll have (or have not) power of Vulkan with us in Gear VR soon (or not) 🙂

Thanks
35 REPLIES 35

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
The current version of Vulkan is not suitable for Gear VR rendering due to a few key missing features (multiple queues, front buffer access, and more). We are working with Khronos to resolve this and I would expect UE4's existing Vulkan support to map reasonably well to the next version of Vulkan. Sorry but we can't give a timeframe for any of this, but it is something we are working on with Epic.

motorsep
Rising Star

vrdaveb said:

The current version of Vulkan is not suitable for Gear VR rendering due to a few key missing features (multiple queues, front buffer access, and more). We are working with Khronos to resolve this and I would expect UE4's existing Vulkan support to map reasonably well to the next version of Vulkan. Sorry but we can't give a timeframe for any of this, but it is something we are working on with Epic.

Oh, I see. Didn't think this iteration of Vulkan was not aimed at VR. Cool stuff, thanks!

AGlueck
Explorer
It's been a about 3 months since this was posted. Is there an update about Vulkan and Gear?

motorsep
Rising Star

AGlueck said:

It's been a about 3 months since this was posted. Is there an update about Vulkan and Gear?

No, Vulkan for VR isn't even ready. That's something to ask Khronos Group about.

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Unfortunately, Vulkan on mobile still doesn't support front buffer or multiple queue rendering. We are working with Khronos to wire these up, but there isn't an ETA yet. My hope is that they will land in the next 3-6 months, but we can't promise that with any certainty.

motorsep
Rising Star
@vrdaveb

Someone from UE4 community said they use Vulkan for VR on Google Daydream with Pixel phone. If API isn't ready for mobile VR, how is it even possible?

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Google's compositor works differently from Gear VR's and they don't necessarily have to wait for front buffer access and multiple queues to arrive.

motorsep
Rising Star
Got it, thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

motorsep said:

@vrdaveb

Someone from UE4 community said they use Vulkan for VR on Google Daydream with Pixel phone. If API isn't ready for mobile VR, how is it even possible?

Where did you see someone getting Vulkan working for daydream btw? I had thought it was also not supported there yet.