cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Back button' of gear VR is not working and 'Volume UI' isn't visible.

JavedMahmood
Protege
Ok, let me put all the things in detail.

Using Unity 5.3.4f1

My Oculus project was doing fine except two major problems.
After submission I got these 2 problems to resolve from Oculus store as below.

1. A back button long-press (greater than 0.75 seconds) must bring the user to the Universal Menu. A “back” short press action is interpreted by the application dependent on its current state, but generally it will retreat one level in an interface hierarchy. The short-press currently does not pause the menu on tap. A series of short press action within the app experience should ultimately bring up to the Return to Oculus Home menu for a user. 

2. Your volume buttons must adjust the volume using the VR volume UI provided by the Oculus Mobile SDK. Currently, your volume display does not function as expected.

My Process to solve this issues as follow.

1. I created an empty gameobject and attached  OVRplatformmenu.cs and OVRmanager.cs, Here I choose 'Escape' button (which is the back button of Gear VR) in order to quit the game play and take me to Oculus Global menu on long press .

2.Now I have setup the OVRvolumecontrol prefab and also attached the script, And make that a children to main camera. which shows the Volume UI perfectlly in scene mode, But in runtime/Testing that not visible at all! 

Both of these solutions NOT WORKING at all. 
I  had used and tested in separate projects with below plugins. 

ovr_unity_utilities_1.3.0
ovr_unity_utilities_1.3.2
ovr_unity_utilities_1.5.0
ovr_unity_utilities_1.6.0

OVRPlugin_Unity5_1.3.0
OVRPlugin_Unity5_1.3.2

ovr_sdk_mobile_1.0.3

So If anyone knows the solutions and help my project to re-submission I would deeply appriciate your help and I think so as the community.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Volume control is handled internally by VRApi in version 1.0.3, you don't need to use the OVRVolumeControl prefab anymore.

Try setting up a new project, only import Utilities 1.6.0 and then add the OVRCameraRig prefab. Volume control should work. If that works, add OVRPlatformMenu and try that.

If you have no luck with the new project, you might need to check whether are using the latest OVRPlugin (Unity5.3.4f1\Editor\Data\VR\oculus\android).

daggasoft
Honored Guest
I'm also having this exact issue gate my release. I'm confused because shouldn the sdk do this automagically for me?

Can you point me to the documentation that explains explicitly how to implement both features in my project?

8bit
Protege
I upgraded to 5.4.0f3 and volume control UI did automagically work. I did nothing complicated and don't use any Oculus prefabs. To get the universal menu I had to pull in a few scripts, but again no special assets or prefabs. Below I've pasted a screenshot of scripts needed to access the universal menu. I just brought in what I needed. And here's the code to get universal menu and the confirm quit: 
    #region Oculus Specific Stuff
    public void ShowConfirmQuitMenu() {
#if UNITY_ANDROID && !UNITY_EDITOR
        Debug.Log("[PlatformUI-ConfirmQuit] Showing @ " + Time.time); 
        OVRManager.PlatformUIConfirmQuit(); 
#else
        // Show "Want to quit?" type of menu
#endif
    }
    void ShowGlobalMenu() {
#if UNITY_ANDROID && !UNITY_EDITOR
        Debug.Log("[PlatformUI-Global] Showing @ " + Time.time); 
        OVRManager.PlatformUIGlobalMenu(); 
#else
        // Show Oculus Universal Menu on Rift?
#endif
    }
    #endregion Oculus Specific Stuff
2yzq63s7b0sl.png

That get's you universal menu, confirm quit dialogue and volume UI. The manifest file on the other hand is another story...

RaZeR2020
Honored Guest
For Universal Menu use the OVRPlatformMenu script in the OVR Unity Integration, and for the volume UI, upgrade to the latest unity version. These worked for me 😉