General Note 4 Performance Suggestions — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

General Note 4 Performance Suggestions

8bit8bit Posts: 94 Oculus Start Member
So I have a game working silky smooth on S6 with like 4 skinned characters. Then I try on Note 4, reduce down to 2 characters, still getting crummy framerate. Maybe not related to my characters but honestly that's about all I got going on.

I will PROFILE and dig into it but I just got to thinking - anybody know of general suggestions to get better performance on a Note 4, as compared to S6?

I didn't find anything in the forums, if something exists would be nice to see it.

I know there are 2 versions of Note 4 (Snapdragon/Adreno, Exynos/Mali) so some things may only be relevant to one platform or another.

Here's stuff I remember (but should be verified):
- MSAAx2 is practically free, MSAAx4 is a little more costly than is for S6
- Don't upgrade Android beyond 4.4 on the Snapdragon version of Note 4 or you'll take a significant performance it, I'm guessing this is still the case but verification would be nice
- Was suggested to use ETC2 compression, I'm using ATSC because preferred on Mali GPU but I'll switch for a Note 4 build if it helps.

I'm looking for advice like:
- Don't use textures beyond X size because the Adreno GPU blows up, even though Mali GPU is fine
- Use XXXX texture compression because Adreno GPU likes it
- in shaders this func and that func are way slower so don't use them
- Any caveats with CPU, Vector processing, etc
- Click magical "be awesome on Note 4" option in Unity 5.4
- Or, dude just give up, we all upgraded

I'm just looking to save a little time in the profile, hack, test cycle

Thanks

Comments

• FulbyFulby Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    My game failed the performance test for Note 4. I didn't have a Note4 so had to guess, but here's some of the things I did and it passed the next time.

Reduces the renderTarget size to 0.75
    Turn off a particle system (it rendered 500-1000 billboards in one draw call).
    Made CPU optimisations (reduce the Unity script work done each frame)

I was using ATSC.