New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Where's the headset and controller origin point?

RasterMonkeyRasterMonkey Posts: 1
NerveGear
edited October 2016 in PC Development
What position, specifically, on the physical headset and touch controllers is reported by ovr_GetTrackingState?

From the doc: "The SDK reports a rough model of the user’s head in space based on a set of points and vectors. The model is defined around an origin point, which should be centered approximately at the pivot point of the user’s head and neck when they are sitting up in a comfortable position in front of the camera."

However, the eye offsets provided by ovr_GetRenderDesc only have a nonzero offset in the x-direction, which doesn't jive with the above description. What physical points do ovrTrackingState.HeadPose and ovrTrackingState.HandPoses actually correspond to on the devices?

Answers

• ConstellationConstellation Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    I'm very interested in this as well and I've not been able to find any documentation. The handle on the Touch is not perpendicular to the crescent shaped emitter housing so in addition to the origin I'd like to know the axis alignment as well. Ideally I'd like to get a CAD model with the origin and axes clearly marked.
    Art3mis
    I used the Avatar SDK in Unity and attached some thin cubes to the touch controllers which gives a rough idea of where the center is. Some screen shots are attached. It looks like the origin is centered in the circle on top of the Touch but from the last picture it's clear it's not exactly aligned with it. It would be a lot better to have official CAD files from Oculus from which exact measurements could be made.  

Art3mis
    My apologies, my friend just told me the CAD is already available! He brought it up in a CAD system and showed me the axes and they look just like my screencaps. He found it on the download site here.