Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Accepting release channel invitation on a test account

delphinius81delphinius81 Posts: 297
Nexus 6
edited October 2016 in Answers
It looks like some kind of release channel change is preventing test accounts from being directly added to channels now. Instead of automatically subscribing test account users (like it used to), there is an invitation that needs to be accepted somehow? This is kind of impossible to accept since the test user email address is a fake, generated-by-oculus email. How is a test user supposed to accept the invitation?
Tagged:

Comments

• delphinius81delphinius81 Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    @cybereality
    Any idea on how to proceed here?
  • geoabensurgeoabensur Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited October 2016
    @delphinius81
    Any solution on how to accept an invite on a test account? Thanks
    Nexus 6
    Nope... Haven't received any response on how to proceed here.

@cybereality
    @vrdaveb

Any clues on what to do?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "email address is a fake, generated-by-oculus email". Test accounts are just normal Oculus accounts, with real email addresses. Can you explain?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Nexus 6
    When you create a test user through the oculus dashboard (go to Test Users -> + Add Test User), the dashboard automatically generates a test account for you. The user name will be something like test_897asdfkadfs and the associated email address is <real email prefix>.<bunch of numbers>@&lt;domain name>. For example, if my real account email were [email protected], my test user email could be something like T[email protected]

If I add this test user as a subscribed user through release channels, an invitation to test the application is sent to [email protected] That email address does not actually exist, since it is generated by Oculus when the test user is created. So it is impossible to accept the test invitation that is sent. As a result, it is impossible to do things like test IAP purchases using the fake credit card accepted by the platform.
    Nexus 6
    @cybereality
    Any updates on this issue? It really blocks being able to test IAP related changes.
  • TheVRCompanyTheVRCompany Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue. Is there any way to accept the invite on test accounts?
  • Khaled.ShoukryKhaled.Shoukry Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    We really need an answer to this post, @cybereality
    When we create test users, it generates an account with the name on the developer account then appends a period and a bunch of random numbers @gmail.com or whatever host you have on your account. Now the problem is when you try to add a test user to the account it sends them an email invite. However, the test users generated by the "create test user" button on the dashboard makes account with fake emails. So they cannot accept an invitation to the ALPHA channel.
  • ElZapatoHombreElZapatoHombre Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Problem doesn't seem to have been fixed. Still waiting to hear about a solution. Until then, I'm trying to contact someone from Oculus Support...
  • metrocubemetrocube Posts: 55 Oculus Staff
    I looked into why we aren't already doing this. It turns out we de-dupe subaddressed email accounts to prevent people from using it as a method for creating multiple Oculus accounts, which I'm told is a BadThing. So, because of the measures to combat the BadThing, devs with test users have to be inconvenienced.

The workaround for testing IAP is that you can verify it by hitting the API, you just won't receive the confirmation email.

The workaround for testing Release Channels is to use a real Oculus account (perhaps your personal instead of your work account) instead of the test accounts. 
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    @metrocube Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure that the workarounds you are suggesting will work.

What I am getting from this reply is that test users generated through the dashboard are no longer supported, because they would be considered duplicate accounts of a developer's legitimate account, which you guys are trying to prevent. However, the result of this decision is more than just an inconvenience to devs, as it actually prevents us from properly testing. Let me further explain.

1) You can't simply hit the API to test purchasing a product, as the "purchase" requires that the callback from the LaunchCheckoutFlow returns valid information. There isn't any confirmation email - it's a confirmation that the purchase was successful - which is returned by Oculus. We have NO control over that.

To be clear, I don't mean testing that the purchase screen pops up - I mean going through the 3 possible flows: error, canceled, successful. You can't test the successful pathway without having valid purchase credentials.

So the only workaround for testing the successful IAP pathway is to completely skip any SDK calls and just grant a temporary entitlement to the user. Unfortunately, that means after testing a build on a release channel, we have to create a new build that doesn't skip those calls, and pray that things work on release. Or just use a real account and spend real money, which leads to...

2) Using a real Oculus account in release channels doesn't work because then we have to a) spend real money or b) reduce the cost of all IAP to 1 cent (which is still spending real money) and then remember to update the IAP before going live. Of course, this will not work because both the Store AND Release Channels share the SAME IAP platform information - developers can't have a live and test version of IAP cost simultaneously. So you can't have cheap IAP on a release channel without also having cheap IAP in the Store. Now, maybe if I wasn't giving Oculus a cut on every IAP purchase this wouldn't be a big deal, but I don't see why I have to pay you to test my app. :)

Look, there is a VERY simple solution from a dev/user usability perspective. Just implement the channel testing system Apple uses to test iOS apps. It keeps production and test applications separate. The backend detects when a person is on a test channel version and doesn't charge/require account information. It just works. We all understand that you guys are early on in the store development process and these things will come in time. It's just hard when other platforms have all these features and it feels like we are taking a step backwards when it comes to testing. Honestly, it's a reason to simply not have IAP at all at this point.
  • AtoramosAtoramos Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    We're running into the exact same problem, and as delphinius81 states this is a real problem for testing IAP. This is much more than an inconvenience and essentially blocks us from being able to test completely.

The fix should be simple: don't require test users to accept invites to alpha channels. That keeps these users subaddressed. 

"The workaround for testing IAP is that you can verify it by hitting the API, you just won't receive the confirmation email."

I think you may be misunderstanding the problem (or perhaps I don't understand the answer). I can create a test user and log in, however that test user cannot see our Alpha game. To do so, I must add this test user to the game. However, they must accept an e-mail to be added to the game. Our tests checking entitlement seem to work, but a real test requires us to use a test user and the fake CC information. This is impossible if the test user can never access the game in question.
  • hitechhitech Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I just ran into the exact same issue. No way to pass the Entitlement check on a beta channel with a test user because there is no way to accept the test user to beta process.
    Dale