Using oculus usernames in UE4 — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Using oculus usernames in UE4

JSaueressigJSaueressig Posts: 2
NerveGear
edited October 2016 in Unreal Development
Hello, my name is Jacob. I have recently been busy trying to figure out how to acquire the current user's Oculus username but have been having a rather difficult time. When I tried to get the username using blueprints, neither method I utilized worked: following brain_jew's results simply gave me the desktop name. Using "GetUserProfile" I get a blank name result in the UE4 editor and running off the Oculus Home I get "Oculus User". Is there a method I am missing to retrieve the Oculus username? 

In the latest push of the SDK "Unreal Engine 4 Integration 1.8.0 Released" there is mention of a way to retrieve the ID and username, but I believe I am only getting the ID. Also, is the blueprint referenced in the 1.8.0 release the "Get User Profile" blueprint, or is there something I am missing? Thanks for any assistance. 

• Added a Blueprint for retrieving Oculus ID/Username.

Best Answers

Answers

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,362 Oculus Start Member
    When will BP nodes make it into UE4 binary from Launcher ? (keeping fingers crossed for 4.14)
  • wirelitesoft.devwirelitesoft.dev Posts: 56 Oculus Start Member
    brian_jew said:
    motorsep said:
    When will BP nodes make it into UE4 binary from Launcher ? (keeping fingers crossed for 4.14)
    I downloaded the UE 4.14.0 Preview 1 today and checked it out.  Looks like the BP nodes for both entitlement verification and getting the oculus id and username both are in there!
    using this node only gets an Id number. it does not output a profile name in 4.20.1 any suggestions? i tried both outputs and its only outputting the same number. I wanted the name :neutral:
    Hello again, this is how I'm using the get oculus identity node. but my text looks like Welcome: 584758434578 584758434578 any ideas why it is doing that?
    this is after the entitlement check.

any ideas?

@brian_jew @imperativity

edited August 2018
    @wirelitesoft.dev

Let me reach out to internally to see if I can get you some guidance on this. Stay tuned.

EDIT->  here is some feedback from our UE4 team:

"It's probably because he has this [see image below] set. That means the blueprint will execute the set text both in the next tick and if it succeeds. I'm guessing it's not succeeding so it's only firing off in the next tick and print out garbage values. The developer should unset that top one and also set the "On Failure" and see if that fires. 

This is actually not the case.here is a video to confirm what I'm dealing with.
    in the video you can clearly see that no matter what is hooked up
    it still only gives a big long number instead of names. this is on an event begin play only. it is not on tick or any other event...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWscT6aQd8M

@imperativity

note: trust me when I find an issue like this I test it every way possible before posting.
    It seems to me that 4.20.1 has broken a lot of things that used to work?

Edit: added more info
    I have submitted a bug report here on the bug tracker and on ue4 showing the bug in a video. hope to see a fix for this issue asap ! <3
    @wirelitesoft.dev

Let me reach out to internally to see if I can get you some guidance on this. Stay tuned.

"It's probably because he has this [see image below] set. That means the blueprint will execute the set text both in the next tick and if it succeeds. I'm guessing it's not succeeding so it's only firing off in the next tick and print out garbage values. The developer should unset that top one and also set the "On Failure" and see if that fires. 

@imperativity

@wirelitesoft.dev

@imperativity