Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums will be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.
New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Unity - Gear VR : UI Selection - Gaze Input

Hello,

As Unity 5 now supports Oculus Gear, I'm struggling to find much documentation and instructions on how to do certain things 'natively' within Unity - theres just a lot of conflicting documentation out there (I understand that it's a growing technology).

The 'OculusSampleFramework' is a bit pointless now as it's complete out of date, and was developed before VR support within Unity.

So with that in mind - what is the best practice to select, or highlight a simple UI element? Or even setup a central reticle?

I've had a look at the OVR Unity Utilities too - but even that suggests dragging in VR Camera rigs into the scene, which just isn't necessary anymore as that is done on Build and would cause complications.

Any direction would be great. Thanks community!

Comments

• vrdavebvrdaveb Posts: 1,596 Oculus Staff
    > The 'OculusSampleFramework' is a bit pointless now as it's complete out of date, and was developed before VR support within Unity.

Actually, the Sample Framework has always been designed to use Unity's built-in VR support. It works on Rift and Gear VR and includes OVRInputModule for driving world-space Unity UIs.

> what is the best practice to select, or highlight a simple UI element?

Here is our official guide. If you really don't want to use the Oculus Utilities, see this guide from Unity.
  • oliverj777oliverj777 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    vrdaveb said:
    > The 'OculusSampleFramework' is a bit pointless now as it's complete out of date, and was developed before VR support within Unity.

Actually, the Sample Framework has always been designed to use Unity's built-in VR support. It works on Rift and Gear VR and includes OVRInputModule for driving world-space Unity UIs.

Here is our official guide. If you really don't want to use the Oculus Utilities, see this guide from Unity.
    Hello,

The reason why I say the Sample Framework conflicts, is because it has prefabs with VR controllers on. This is no longer necessary as the option within the Build Settings "Enable VR" does this for the user anyway.

So surely using this will just 'double up' on everything?
    NerveGear
    Even the UI Project demo you can download doesn't work - I get a namespace error.
    The Sample Framework should work. We tested it with the Utilities at the time it was shipped. The prefabs' GUIDs should match and the assets should not get duplicated in your project. Note that the UI project from our website is an older copy of some of the same assets in the Sample Framework. I would recommend downloading the SF and not the old UI package. The instructions on the blog should still be accurate.
    NerveGear
    Hello, thank you for your feedback. I've downloaded the Sample Framework and I'm currently having a look. The only thing that worries me is that there are OVRCameraRigs on all the scene which control the camera via the Headset. It was my understanding that the check box in the Build Settings "Enable VR" was to automate this anyway?

So with both the CameraRig present, and the VR enabled - won't this double up on the events and functions?
    OVRCameraRig uses Unity's built-in VR support. It doesn't duplicate it.
  • elson915elson915 Posts: 8 Oculus Start Member
    vrdaveb said:

The official guide has a broken 404 link. Can you please update it?