cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Gear VR] Using StereoLayers to render stereo cubemap a la Oculus 360 photos - how ?

motorsep
Rising Star
A question popped up on UE4 forums about rendering cubemaps in UE4 in the same quality as they are in Oculus 360 photo app.

As far as I know, it's not possible to do such thing using standard to UE4 sky sphere method, because not only sky spheres are not timewarped, but also they act as standard world texture when it comes to mipmaps. So in order for sky sphere to look good, it can not have any mipmaps.

Then I read this doc https://developer3.oculus.com/documentation/mobilesdk/latest/concepts/mobile-rendering/#mobile-perf-guides-resolution and I remembered that Stereo Layers support cubemap and are timewarped. So I figured that perhaps using StereoLayers we can render cubemap and Oculus Mobile SDK do the same thing to it as it does to cubemaps in Oculus 360 photos app.

Am I thinking in the right direction ?

Now, the questions is how to render stereo cubemap using StereoLayers in UE4, if it's even possible at all ?

The end goal is to be able to make either a 360 photo gallery a la Oculus 360 app, or to use that for archviz - have several rooms pre-rendered in stereo cubemaps and have clients transition from "room" to "room" by swapping cubemaps in StereoLayers.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

motorsep
Rising Star
I already know all that, but thanks 🙂

The question is how to get stereo cubemap image to render in stereo using StereoLayer component.

For once, UE4 doesn't support stereo cubemaps or even cubemap strips, like Oculus does. So the only way to load stereo cubemaps into UE4 is to make separate left/right eye cubemaps compliant with UE4 requirements, or left/right eye equirectangular panoramas, which most likely aren't supported by StereoLayers.

Then the question is how to set stereo pair for StereoLayer. Currently I am not away of any way to do that. There is only one image slot in the StereoLayer component details panel, so only 1 mono cubemap is supported.

newtori
Honored Guest
I have the same problem with Stereo layer. I've tried using .jpeg, .dds and .HDR textures in LeftTexture and Texture properties but the cubemap layer does not appear. Is there anyone who already managed to make the stereo layer cubemap works at least once?

motorsep
Rising Star
Do you mean UE4 @imperativity ? My OP was about using it in UE4...

pekayatt
Expert Protege
Have tried here as well... I could not make it work...

RonnyBullet
Expert Protege
any news on this? would also be great for 360° video, there really needs to be a solution for this, right now its like the wild west out there xD

jordan_caldwell
Honored Guest
have you tried unity?

motorsep
Rising Star

have you tried unity?

Well, there is a reason why people posted this in "Unreal Developement" and not in "Unity Development"  😕

LogicaExp
Explorer
Hey motospep, I dont know if you figured this out but in the StereoLayer go to StereoLayer -> Cubemap Overlay Properties -> Left texture. There you can set the texture that is going to render in the left eye only.