Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Changing the hands mesh in Unity

Hello, 

We would like to change the hand model and try a full arm rendering, and as such we would like to replace the hands by our own model ?
Since the meshes are generated at runtime is it possible to replace the meshes at all? If yes do you have any pointers on how to do it?

Thank you for your answer!

Comments

• juanoldinhojuanoldinho Posts: 131 Oculus Staff
    Hi,

Check out the newly released Oculus Sample Framework for Unity:
    https://developer3.oculus.com/downloads/game-engines/1.11.0/Oculus_Sample_Framework_for_Unity_5_Project/

One of the new features is:
    • CustomHands uses low-resolution custom hand models and the Utilities for Unity scripts OVRGrabber and OVRGrabbable to illustrate hands presence with Touch. Pick up and throw blocks from a table using the Touch grip buttons. May be used as a reference for implementing your own hand models.
    Please tag me, @juanoldinho, in your forum post/response if you need immediate assistance or want additional support or context on an issue you are having with our software or integrations.

Having an issue with our platform, services, or integrations?

Try using our new bug tool to report this and receive emailed updates as we proceed to address it internally.
  • gati3478gati3478 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I am trying to create a custom grip pose for the custom hand models. I don't know 3D modeling/animation much, but I've tried importing FBX file for the fist pose and editing the join locations, the problem is that the changes are not saved in the exported FBX file. Any ideas how could a custom grip pose can be done with ease?
  • Ross_BeefRoss_Beef Posts: 157 Oculus Staff
    Hi @gati3478, just to be clear - are you taking about using the avatar hands and applying a custom grip pose or using your own custom mesh and doing so?

with the CustomGrip unity sample you should be able to pose the hand model and then drag the object out from the scene graph, creating a posed pre-fab which you can assign as a custom grip pose.
  • Ross_BeefRoss_Beef Posts: 157 Oculus Staff
    @gati3478  - see 'custom poses' here in our docs for a good walkthrough of what I mentioned above re. setting and saving down grip poses.

NerveGear
    @Ross_Beef Hi, thanks for replying! No, I know what you're talking about, I've been using that custom grip pose principle before, but since I switched my hands from the user's avatars to the custom model (as given in the Oculus sample projects), it requires separate animation models for each pose (which are given in FBX files in the sample). I've been trying to edit that given pose, but unsuccessfully.
  • AudiogamingdevAudiogamingdev Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited February 2017
    Hi,

Check out the newly released Oculus Sample Framework for Unity:
    https://developer3.oculus.com/downloads/game-engines/1.11.0/Oculus_Sample_Framework_for_Unity_5_Project/

One of the new features is:
    • CustomHands uses low-resolution custom hand models and the Utilities for Unity scripts OVRGrabber and OVRGrabbable to illustrate hands presence with Touch. Pick up and throw blocks from a table using the Touch grip buttons. May be used as a reference for implementing your own hand models.
    Thanks for the answer!

In the text for this demo it says that one should look into the Oculus Avatar SDK to change hand models and if it's not possible the demo would be a good starting point.

So basically if I want full arms I kinda have to bypass the Oculus Avatar SDK and do something like I see in the demo? I also can't really see anything about hands on the avatar SDK I've downloaded, is it directly in the code?
  • masterchopmasterchop Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    gati3478 said:
    @Ross_Beef Hi, thanks for replying! No, I know what you're talking about, I've been using that custom grip pose principle before, but since I switched my hands from the user's avatars to the custom model (as given in the Oculus sample projects), it requires separate animation models for each pose (which are given in FBX files in the sample). I've been trying to edit that given pose, but unsuccessfully.
    Did you manage to edit the animations? i would like to create my own animation too using the hands
    NerveGear
    @masterchop Unfortunately, I could not. Every change I make to the locations and rotations of the joints are not present in an exported FBX.
  • masterchopmasterchop Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    What i did was to use the hand helper script to find the positions i was looking for. Once i did have them i just copy the prefab and assigned when i grab an object. its useful the problem its that it takes time to mold the hand to the proper possition, we need some sort of leap motion integration to make this process easy.
  • CHECHE Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Could someone from Oculus please give me a guide on how to use a custom hand? i tried importing the hand in 3dsmax and change it a bit and export again, but when i do that the mesh goes bananas. How can i swap the hands from the example? 
  • abhiraman1998abhiraman1998 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    can anyone help me on how to change the hands of the oculus avatar. i made a new hand mesh and also made animations for the same but couldn't find any tutorial on how to change the hands
  • JBivBeatsJBivBeats Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    @masterchop hand helper script?  Where would that be?
  • nexvsnexvs Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Hello, I am using Unity VR Lightweight pipeline. The hands and controllers appear PINK.
    How can I change its materials to lightweight standard so they appear? I cant find the hands materials as they are generated in runtime. Please help!