Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Black screen on executing build on Rift CV1 and Unity 5.5.1p2

pdq72pdq72 Posts: 14
NerveGear
Hello,

I get a black screen in the Rift HMD whenever I create and execute a new build, only my monitor displays the scene (albeit frozen). I have tried this with an empty project and I get the same problem. I've attached the output_log.txt. If I run the build while the Oculus App home page is up, the home page stays up.

VR works fine in the Editor and works with running previous builds from Unity versions prior to 5.5.1f1. Using Unity native VR (not Oculus Utilities)

As I no longer have a previous Unity versions installed, I am unable to try building on another version.

Using Unity v5.5.1p2
Oculus runtime 1.11
Windows 7 64 bit

I seem to be having this problem since Unity 5.5.1f1. I had not made any other software or hardware changes to my machine other than updating Unity.

Thanks.

Comments

• pdq72pdq72 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Hi,

1) Yes, VR support is enabled.
    2) App path does not contain non-ASCII characters
    3) No modified OVRPlugin.dll being used.

An empty project was created to reproduce the situation. No additional plugins or packages are being used. Oculus Rift is using the Unity native VR support.
    NerveGear
    Hello imperativity,

Please find attached the project folder "Empty14" and scene build.

Thanks.
    NerveGear
    Hi,

As you can see below. It is on the list. I removed the sdk and added it back again. Saved the project, re-entered, and rebuilt, but that did not work.

I discovered that the "Plugins/OVRPlugin.dll" was missing from the _Data folder. As soon as I added it manually, it worked. I'll report this to Unity. Thanks imperative.

• shessshess Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I believe I'm seeing the same - but on MacOS, and trying to build for GearVR.  I have "Virtual Reality Supported" checked, but it seems to ignore this.  After a Build and Launch, it doesn't bring up the GearVR prompt to insert in headset - it launches like a normal Android app.  I look in Temp/Staging, and see that the AndroidManifest that is auto-generated has the line "<category android:name="android.intent.category.LEANBACK_LAUNCHER" />" which probably explains why it isn't launching as a GearVR app.

The Staging libs dir also seems to be missing libOVRPlugin.so and libvrapi.so.  I tried copying these from an apk I successfully built days ago into the Unity Plugins/Android folder (along with writing an AndroidManifest file to fix issue above), but still no luck.

Even a fresh project exhibits this, but I was able to build fine just a day ago.  And it happens in multiple versions of Unity (5.5.1p2 and 5.5.0.p4 so far).

Any ideas of a workaround for Mac?  I don't seem to have the option of just copying over OVRPlugin.dll as the Windows issue above.

Thanks!
    NerveGear
    @imperativity

Nope - I'm set to Android.

If I delete the manifest (or create an empty project with no manifest), then Unity will automatically produce an incorrect manifest that is not set-up for GearVR.  As above, it will contain the line: 
    "<category android:name="android.intent.category.LEANBACK_LAUNCHER" />"

...which makes it launch like a normal Android project and does not prompt to insert into the GearVR headset.

And whether or not I have a manifest in the project, it doesn't include the files libOVRPlugin.so and libvrapi.so, which I'm reasonably certain should be there (based on investigating other apks that were built previously that do work.)

It's bewildering - I have no idea what could have changed.
    NerveGear
    @imperativity

Ok - I did as you requested, created a blank project, imported Utils 1.11.0, and did a build.  It did *NOT* put the leanback_launcher in the temporary manifest, but it *still* launches as a normal Android app.  (i.e. it doesn't prompt to put in GearVR.)

Would it help for me to bundle up the Staging directory?  Or something else?

I really appreciate your time.
    NerveGear
    NerveGear
    Will do.  The realllllllly odd thing is that this is happening now in THREE different Unity builds, and just started on Monday sometime.  I've been building for months just fine.  It feels like there is some cached info that is outside of a particular Unity installation that is controlling this, but I have no idea what it would be.

Thanks again for your time - I'll post back with the case number when I have it.
    NerveGear
    The problem of Unity not creating a Plugins folder,nor copying over the OVRPlugin.dll has crept up again. I had done a fresh reinstall of Unity 5.5.1p3, oculus drivers, and visual studio. Was working fine for a couple of weeks but the problem has started up once again. I posted this at Unity, so I'll see what response I get.