New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

ASTC compression in Unreal 4 not compressing HDR textures

Norman3DNorman3D Posts: 50
Brain Burst
This guide over here recommends using ASTC over ETC2. It makes perfect sense for my project as we are using quite a few HDR textures and ASTC is excellent at compressing these:
http://malideveloper.arm.com/documentation/developer-guides/arm-guide-unity-enhancing-mobile-games/

However I've noticed that Unreal 4 does not compress HDR textures at all with ASTC, I suspect because such functionality has not been implemented in the Cooker. Is this also the case with Oculus's branch of Unreal?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,178 Oculus Staff
    Moving to Unreal Developer section.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 1,697 Oculus Staff
    Hi,

We don't encourage developers to use HDR on mobile, as there would be a large bandwidth cost.

• Norman3DNorman3D Posts: 50
    Brain Burst
    Hi,

We don't encourage developers to use HDR on mobile, as there would be a large bandwidth cost.

This is not the same as mobile HDR (which is what I believe you are referring to.) This issue happens specifically with HDR textures. The issue is that Epic has not fully implemented ASTC, so HDR textures for example are not compressed causing a huge memory footprint. Compressed textures are totally fine on memory and on disk.
    My current workaround consist of using LogLuma encoding and saving it as an 8bit RGB. I then de-encode it in the shader. Unfortunately it costs me a bit on the pixel shader, which I would be able to avoid if ASTC HDR compression was implemented. I can still manage with the LogLuma encoding, it's just that I'd rather not use it if it was possible :)