New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Collision Between Objects

SuzitSuzit Posts: 6
NerveGear
I'm holding one object in each hand, objects are rigidbody collider. When i try to collide each other, there is no collision between each other(objects), but when i poke with one object to other which is stationary or lying on ground the collision works fine. I want same effect when holding in both hands. Is it possible?

Comments

• weasel47weasel47 Posts: 299
    Nexus 6
    If the rigidbodies are kinematic, they will not respond (in terms of movement) to collisions.  You should look into attaching them to the hands with joints. You'll want invisible kinematic rigidbodies that do move with the hands, and then the objects (which should not be kinematic) can be attached to those with joints. 
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 1,697 Oculus Staff
    Hi,

We need some more info about this to help you. Are you using OVRGrabber?
  • SuzitSuzit Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    It ain't working 
    NerveGear
    @imperativity...yup, i'm using ovrGrabber
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 1,697 Oculus Staff
    edited March 20

@Suzit

OVRGrabber makes the Rigidbody components kinematic when you pick them up so they only follow your hand movement. You could rewrite the script to use a joint instead of parenting.

NerveGear

@Suzit

OVRGrabber makes the Rigidbody components kinematic when you pick them up so they only follow your hand movement. You could rewrite the script to use a joint instead of parenting.

Thanks mahn!! will look into it.
    NerveGear
    edited March 22
    weasel47 said:
    @Suzit

If the rigidbodies are kinematic, they will not respond (in terms of movement) to collisions.  You should look into attaching them to the hands with joints. You'll want invisible kinematic rigidbodies that do move with the hands, and then the objects (which should not be kinematic) can be attached to those with joints. 

Thanks mahn1
  • seansteezyseansteezy Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Can anyone elaborate on what/where this takes place in OVRGrabber? I have the same issue, need a grabbed object to tell what it's colliding with (whether those are kinematic or not). I am failing to understand how I would go about attaching the objects to the hands with joints. Would I add a joint component to the grabber and dynamically set the connected body or add it to the grabbed object and set the hand as the connected body?
  • seansteezyseansteezy Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Can anyone elaborate on what/where this takes place in OVRGrabber? I have the same issue, need a grabbed object to tell what it's colliding with (whether those are kinematic or not). I am failing to understand how I would go about attaching the objects to the hands with joints. Would I add a joint component to the grabber and dynamically set the connected body or add it to the grabbed object and set the hand as the connected body?
    I guess my question for @imperativity is where is the object being set to be kinematic, I just can't find it... I am using distanceGrabber, and when I grab something it sets to Kinematic but I don't see it in either OVRGrabber or DistanceGraber during any of those events. What am I missing? Thanks for the help!