Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Question about VSYNC not reliably working

tmektmek Posts: 103
Hiro Protagonist
I've been wondering why sometimes vsync doesn't always seem to work even when it's specified to be on and I'm running an application full screen. This is something I've noticed on both ATI and NVIDIA in several games even games (not just Rift games) that have an explicit vsync setting and running full screen.

I'll make sure vsync is on the app is full screen (not borderless windowed) and that vsync is set to use application setting or is set to on in my graphics drivers. Yet it's like the graphics card drivers are ignoring the setting and i'll see horrible tearing. This isn't always the case because sometimes vsync does actually work.

Is this known issue? Maybe something to do with Windows 8? Or cloning or extending desktops?

Comments

• As soon as you have two displays VSync will break on one of them. The displays have there own clock and the GPU can adjust to that clock but not the other way around (thats one thing that G-Sync will fix). So if you have two screens and they are not in sync by chance, you will have tearing on one of them. On Linux you can chose which screen to sync to, maybe you don't have that option on windows - in that case only use the Rift.
  • tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    As soon as you have two displays VSync will break on one of them. The displays have there own clock and the GPU can adjust to that clock but not the other way around (thats one thing that G-Sync will fix). So if you have two screens and they are not in sync by chance, you will have tearing on one of them. On Linux you can chose which screen to sync to, maybe you don't have that option on windows - in that case only use the Rift.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense. In my scenario I'm cloning the game/desktop to my Sony monitor and the Rift but it can only sync to one. They are both set to 60hz but which one it winds up v-syncing to is anyone's guess each time you run an app which is why it seems to work some of the time but not others.
  • tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    So after reading this thread on mtbs3d I learned, at least with the Nvidia control panel you can actually specify which display should be used as the "clone source" when cloning.

I tested it and it seems to work exactly as desired. When I clone my desktop to both Rift and Sony monitor and I set my Rift as the "clone source", I can run a game with v-sync and the Rift has no tearing while the Sony does. If I set the Sony to the clone source, the Rift gets tearing and the Sony doesn't!

Edit: Also apparently with ATI in catalyst, under desktop management, you can right click the screen for Rift DK and select 'preferred screen'.

file.php?id=1146
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Awesome! Thanks for posting the fix.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ad2003ad2003 Posts: 196
    Hey,
    thanks for the tip! I had the same issues. But now it works!

AD
    My first unity steps: In A Distance | download/post: http://goo.gl/N90bUU
    A video collection of oculus rift related stuff: http://oculus.quitebeyond.de