cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Gear VR] 4.15.1 monoscopic renderer crash on level load

motorsep
Rising Star
Since I finally got 4.15.1 up and running with FMOD and my project seems to work as expected after upgrading to 4.15.1, I decided to give monoscopic renderer a spin.

Sure enough right after level was loaded (streamed), the app crashed. Here is logcat:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwE6dxM0O2PsVHhlUmZUbjFnYlk

Galaxy S6 Android 6.0.1 Exynos / Mali

Gear VR service VR Framework version 11.1.0 / VR service version MAIN / 2.6.65 / 266500000 03/15/2017, 3:09:47 AM

(got bunch of updates earlier today)

Let me know if I should also report it using submission form.
12 REPLIES 12

motorsep
Rising Star

Hi,

Before we dedicate engineering resources to isolate this issue, can you tell me why you're trying to capture to a cubemap and what you are trying to achieve?

What makes you think I am trying to capture a cubemap per se?

There is a reflection capture sphere in the scene. It's just a standard setup for Sky light to produce nicer lighting. Always worked fine, even with Multi-view.

motorsep
Rising Star
That reflection capture is used (for now) only to bake lighting, since there is no real-time lighting in the scene and no dynamic reflections. If I remove it, lighting will look worse and I will gain no extra performance (and I believe if I remove it after baking, UE4 will tell me to rebuild lighting).

I suspect that too - monoscopic far field was not tested in all case scenarios (UE4 is multipurpose engine, so I would assume Oculus devs don't just run one bare bones test case, but maybe I assume wrong) and thus we have this issue  😕

motorsep
Rising Star
Thanks a bunch! 

motorsep
Rising Star
I did a test with blank project and it worked (with reflection capture and exponential fog). I don't really know what causes crash in my project, besides it's being much larger streamed level having LODed animated skeletal meshes and particles and LODed static meshes.

If necessary, I can provide my project to Oculus (privately).

motorsep
Rising Star
@imperativity PM'ed you with the link to log file retrieved using Android SDK monitor.bat

motorsep
Rising Star
Got some feedback from Epic about this. They believe the following could cause the crash:

"03-31 22:16:48.751: D/UE4(3644): [2017.04.01-03.16.48:768][ 0]LogEngine: ERROR: Failed to load special material '/Engine/EditorMaterials/GizmoMaterial.GizmoMaterial'. This will probably have bad consequences (depending on its use)'"
"03-31 22:16:51.061: I/OVRPlatform(3723): [Context] GetAppVersion call to GetApplicationVersionJSON returned error: user does not have app in library"
"3-31 22:16:49.441: E/libjingle(3723): [000:809] [3859] (webrtcvoiceengine.cc:1055): webrtc: recording in stereo is not supported
03-31 22:16:49.441: W/libjingle(3723): [000:809] [3859] (webrtcvoiceengine.cc:1055): webrtc: SetRecordingDevice() failed to set mono recording mode (error=8090)
03-31 22:16:49.441: E/libjingle(3723): [000:809] [3859] (webrtcvoiceengine.cc:1055): webrtc: stereo playout is not supported
03-31 22:16:49.441: W/libjingle(3723): [000:809] [3859] (webrtcvoiceengine.cc:1055): webrtc: SetPlayoutDevice() failed to set stereo playout mode (error=8090)"

Except I don't use engine content, so I am not sure how '/Engine/EditorMaterials/GizmoMaterial.GizmoMaterial' gets into play (and I don't even know what that is).

I also do not use anything WebRTC related, unless it's some plugin that was enabled by default in earlier version of the engine and migrated into my current project.

As for OVRPlatform, I am a bit at loss there.

Thanks beforehand 

brian_jew
Expert Protege
@motorsep
>As for OVRPlatform, I am a bit at loss there.
The error mentions that you don't have the app in the library.   Do you have an entitlement to your app?

motorsep
Rising Star

brian_jew said:

@motorsep
>As for OVRPlatform, I am a bit at loss there.
The error mentions that you don't have the app in the library.   Do you have an entitlement to your app?

I don't think so. I am still developing it. Simply build it into apk as I've always done it, copy apk to my phone, run the app, plug phone into Gear VR and test it. 

Like I mentioned earlier, the app loads, black room streaming level loads fine, then it crashed when player gets teleported from the black room to the main level (which streams while player is on the black room level).

I'll try recording video of what happens (from the device hopefully).

brian_jew
Expert Protege

motorsep said:

I don't think so. I am still developing it. Simply build it into apk as I've always done it, copy apk to my phone, run the app, plug phone into Gear VR and test it. 

For OVRPlatform, you still need to upload an APK and give yourself an entitlement so it doesn't have that error message.  See: https://developer3.oculus.com/documentation/platform/latest/concepts/pgsg-get-started-with-sdk/#pgsg-getstarteswithSDK-d4145e90