Recording and playing back avatar performances — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Recording and playing back avatar performances

Hello,

I was very enthusiastic about the Avatar SDK, yet am still missing titles that actually make use of it.

I am therefore looking into building a system that would record, save and playback avatar perfomances, including audio in order to use them as robotic guides in VR.

I see from the sample projects that a recording andplayback system has already been added, albeit only for sending the data over the network (also missing voice recording).

Has anyone worked on such a system yet? I want to record my avatar performance, including my speech, to a file in order to be ale to play it back in unity as a prerecorded performance.

Thanks for any help,

C

Comments

• multimedialmultimedial Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Hello imperativity, 

I appreciate your response. I am just somewhat surprised that noone else thought of this, I would imagine that there is a huge demand for scripted avatars and according recording/editing tools...?

I have looked into the avatar sdk and will be looking into saving the animation packets into a file instead of a memory stream. I would also like to add LZ4 compression in order to make the files smaller. 

The problem that bugs me right now (although I haven't written a single line of code for it yet) is the recording and synchronization of an avatar perfomance. I am unsure how to synch the animations with the recorded audio.

Any help would be much aprreciated.
  • bfercherbfercher Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi Multimedial,

i did just that with Unity Timeline. I have Recorder-Playables for both, animation and audio recording. Then while playback the animation i just start both files (animation and audio) at the same time - again with Custom-Playables for the Unity Timline - works like a charm.

Regards

• stevehinanstevehinan Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    I'd love if the good people at Oculus shared a short video tutorial describing this workflow.