cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horribly slow fps on galaxy s8

parthdarji
Explorer
As stupid as it might sound, we are getting incrementally worse performance for our GearVR app on Samsung Galaxy devices. s6 performs the best at ~60fps, s7 at ~57-60 and s8 at ~25-30. We've tried unity versions 5.6.0f3 and 5.5.1f1 with similar results. We have also tried Oculus Utilities v1.13.0 and v1.14.0. Has anyone else faced similar issues?

The profiler shows substantially high amount of time for Camera.Render for s8(~12ms) than s7(~3-4fps).

/parth
56 REPLIES 56

JianZ
Expert Protege
Hi parthdarji

you mean "s7(~3-4ms)"?   can you share your test devices's model number ( like SM-G955F etc) in case it is CPU/GPU related ?   btw,  it will be helpful if you can share your test project as well

Thanks
-Jian

parthdarji
Explorer
Hi JianZ, 

Thank you for the quick turnaround. The model number is SM-G950U. I will not be able to send a test project as 1. it's very huge; 2. The project is proprietary. 

If it helps, I can paste profiler screenshot or try making a sample project which would be as close to the current one as possible.

Yes, I meant s7(~3-4ms), sorry! By the way, an empty project runs at ~45fps straight and sometimes drops to ~2-3ms. Here is the profiler log from the phone for an empty scene.
xcen0yygista.png

parthdarji
Explorer
Just an update, here's the profiler output for the same empty scene with the same settings on a galaxy s7. Check out the Camera.render time on both the images.
rwhl2jwup8xz.png

JianZ
Expert Protege
Ye, a sample project will be helpful too,
btw, it looks like a FIFO schedule issue we saw before, can you try to attach the FIFO-SCH.cs I send on to a gameObject in your scene, then test it again?.

parthdarji
Explorer
I am trying to get a demo project for you. In the meantime, the first profiler screenshot is literally an empty scene built with Unity5.6.0f3 and oculus utilities 1.14.0, which should be fairly simple to replicate on your end.

The FIFO-SCH.cs doesn't seem to change anything.

parthdarji
Explorer
[EDIT: DELETED PROJECT BECAUSE OF A PLUGIN DEPENDENCY]

Hi,

Please find attached a sample unity project built with Unity 5.5.1f1, Oculus Utilities 1.14.0.

There are three scenes in the _scenes folder:
1. emptyscene.unity - This is a completely empty scene.
2. emptyscene_FIFO.unity - This is an empty scene with FIFO_SCH.cs attached to the MainCamera
3. sample_scene.unity - This is the closest replica of what our scene looks like. For ownership reasons, I won't be able to share the actual scene with you but I can say that the contents of the scrollview are dynamically loaded and this panel does most of the heavy-lifting for the app. There are other features in the app, but I don't think they would matter for the current case.

HTH.

JianZ
Expert Protege
FYI update:

I'm able to repro the issue with 5.6.0p4

S8 Qualcomm performance is bad constantly, S7 QualComm has some random results ( jumping from bad to good ). all MALI phone don't have such issues ( tested on S6 + S8 ),
 I'm going to dig into it and contact with Unity,  

will update here for progress

JianZ
Expert Protege
Hi, 

Actually, I  checked your sample project configuration,  found "Multithreaded Rendering" was disabled,  I enabled it and test again, seems most frames is above 60 FPS now despite some spikes, 

Can you test it to see if this help your situation?
dwyxqfs94p93.png

HoldenTB
Explorer
We're running into what looks like the same issue with WaitForGPU taking up way more than it should on Galaxy S7 (haven't tested on Galaxy S8), but I verified we do have multithreaded rendering enabled. The FIFO script actually makes it a little bit worse. We're locked at 60 FPS on Note 4, S6, and Note 5, but dipping into the 30-45 FPS range on S7 in some spots.

See the attached images of profiler output from Unity 5.6.1.

Galaxy S7:
e2lv8cks4sdx.png

Galaxy Note 5:
qzi8f3y5sea6.png

We have a build live on the store made with Unity 5.3 that does not exhibit this issue (we launched about a year ago, and we're trying to add Gear VR Controller support to the game).