Text Shimmering Problem — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Text Shimmering Problem

blooaggablooagga Posts: 7
NerveGear
Hello,

I'm having an issue using low resolution pixel style fonts. When the fonts are viewed in the Gear VR there is a very strong shimmering effect. I can't change change the filter mode from point because of how low resolution the fonts are. The fonts are being used with Unity UI not 3d text meshes. Has anyone encountered this issue before?

Comments

• delphinius81delphinius81 Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    Are you using a pure white color for your font? The switching between black/white pixels on phone displays isn't fast enough, so you can get around it by not using pure white/black. A light gray can work.

You can also try adding a Canvas Scalar to the game object that holds the canvas component, which will let you better adjust the font size.
  • blooaggablooagga Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Wow I can't believe I haven't tried that, I remembered red font not having the issue, I'll try that next.
    NerveGear
    So I've tried changing the colors from black and white and the shimmering is still there. I think it's because the text is not anti aliased. Not sure where to go from here, I might just rasterize every bit of text that's static.
  • gconvergengconvergen Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    Try reducing the resolution of the text. You can either use a Canvas Scaler component, or just reduce the font size in the import settings. Having a lower resolution font should give you a few more bits of blending on the edges of the letters and it should shimmer less.
    NerveGear
    edited May 2017
    I don't think I can change the size import settings of a bitmap font, and its extremely low resolution already being an 8 bit style pixel font. The characters are literally just pixels wide which is why I have to scale them up. I've played with the canvas scaler and haven't had any success at either side of the extreme values. I'm pretty lost on what to do at this point.