New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

10 minute motion timeout bypass

vkitdepvkitdep Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hello,

I am referring to the mail that I've send Oculus regarding this issue.

Is there any way to prohibit the Oculus Rift from timing out whilst active in a Web-VR module? Currently we are trying to use the Oculus Rift to present a VR make in Firefox and that works perfectly, however when the glasses are left on the table, they time out after 10 minutes. We've circumvented the disabling of the Rift when taking them off by blackening the sensor, but the Rift times out after 10 minutes of not moving. Is there any way around this? Ive looked through the internet and people speak of charging ports etc, but this doesnt look like an USB or power-issue. It seems the Rift is programmed to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity. Is this correct? And how do we make it not turn off. When we move the glasses after the timeout they DO become active again however the webmodule doesnt work this way, so we have to reload everything afterwards. The module cant open the connection to the glasses afterwards.

We are looking into buying 30 Oculus Rift because of the possibilities with having the Rift-output presented on a monitor whilst the person are having the glasses on, however it is CRUCIAL that the Rift wont timeout when NOT being used for a little while. Any ideas on bypassing the motion timeout is much appreciated. USB power management etc. and what little I was able to find here on the forum has already been attempted. Helping us figure out this issue would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven

Comments

• imperativityimperativity Posts: 1,604 Oculus Staff
    Hi,

Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums.

I am currently looking into this issue and will advise you on whether this is a toggle-able feature or not by next week.

Thanks for your patience.
  • vkitdepvkitdep Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thank you for your reply I will be following the topic closely for your answer.
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 1,604 Oculus Staff
    @vkitdep

We currently do not support this use case. But, an internal task has been created to eventually add this functionality to the PC SDK. I do not have an ETA on this currently as it is considered low priority.
  • vkitdepvkitdep Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thank you for your answer.
    I am sad to hear this as this would be crucial for our purchase.I will have to move further with the project and maybe look for other products. Is there any chance you have a "Change log" page or similar where I can read whether this function has or will be added? I understand it must be "low priority" as I dont reckon it be useful for people using it for what it's meant for; gaming. Thank you for your response never the less.