Virtual Design Student looking for some experienced direction — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Virtual Design Student looking for some experienced direction

caleb_halcaleb_hal Posts: 1
NerveGear
First off, I am very new to the developing field so I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I'm currently double majoring in Virtual Technology Design and Architecture at the University of Idaho. I'm hoping to eventually create immersive, 3D architectural renderings for architectural/construction companies. In my current program we are working with a number of different programs to get our feet wet (Mainly Adobe applications for now). In later semesters/years they say we can expect to work in autodesk, specifically 3ds max, as well as Unity, z brush etc. The program is primarily filled with students looking to do game development and it seems the program will head more in that direction. So my question is this, if I already know that I want to be a virtual architect that works mainly with 3D building renderings, textures, blueprints, etc, and I feel like I have a solid foundation in all of the programs we are working with now, what programs should I start experimenting with? and what technology would you recommend for somebody ready to take the leap into the world of VR development? I'm currently working on a macbook so I'm not able to do anything with 3ds max at the moment. Wacom tablets certainly look impressive but is that something you would recommend for your workflow? Anything and everything is greatly appreciated and welcome! Thank you for reading. 
Tagged:

Comments

• SergioGardellaSergioGardella Posts: 16 Oculus Start Member
    Hi,
    I think, and this is my personal opinion, that you should not study software but pipelines. By this I mean it does not make sense to focus on 3DsMax or Maya discussions when you are a student, like the Unity-Unreal debates. Focus on creating what you need instead of mastering a tool without any direction. I have heard this many times and there are endless debates of students following tutorials without any sort of direction. You should focus on a learning path based in the content you want to develop.
    If you grab a book (sounds like crazy in these Internet days) you will see that if you look at the Index it makes some sort of sense in how it evolves through the content. Probably you will not start with Global Illumination but starting with a 3 point light rig and understand how you can shape thing and add depth to them with lights. Once you understand these basics then you can start with more advanced topics. Follow a direction to get to a destination.
    Besides this there are many other topics that are important and complementary to your field of study: 3D Architectural Visualization. You can take a look at image composition to understand how to place certain elements in your 3D scene, color theory to be able to add the correct mood to your scenes and so on.

Hope it helps!
  • PoorCiceroPoorCicero Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    "Focus on creating what you need instead of mastering a tool without any direction."

I'm also a Design and Development student at ULL and this section of your comment seemed important. Perhaps you wouldn't mind expanding on this?

Thanks!
  • Gaming2.0Gaming2.0 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I know this is a little late, but before you focus on a pipeline, the answer I think you were looking for is, you can find software to help you with your 3d assets other than Autodesk. Unless you plan on buying and or downloading free assets you probably want something you can design with, Mac has apps for that. Even if you go into Unity and or Zbrush, in my experience we always included Adobe. Wacom tablets are great, I am not so great for them so I went with Autodesk. Eventually you will want a more powerful Pc or Mac then you can have as much as you need. I have a full range of Autodesk apps, Adobe apps, and several other apps. I have Visual Studio, Android Studio, Unity, and thinking about learning Unreal. I have SDKs for Oculus, Vive, Hololens, and other standalones. It is really about what tools you would be comfortable with, and the capabilities of your machine.