Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Thumbstick movement + hands?

jyfchen57jyfchen57 Posts: 5
NerveGear
Hey all,
I've been using the sample scenes in the oculus framework for my project. As we have a somewhat large area to cover with movement and we don't have the space to do a lot of room scale movement, I wanted to have a solution where I control the movement with the thumbstick but still have hands that can grab and interact with things. How do I do this?

I've been using the avatarwithgrab scene and the outdoor movement scene as a basis, and I tried having a playercontroller parent with a localavatar child...

Problem with that is that while the hands work fine, moving around is annoying as the controller parent includes a unity-given character controller that has a capsule collider. That capsule collider stays in the midle position within the player bounds while the entire parent, with the player and bounds included, moves. So often you'll be at a different place and still get collisions over nothing or be able to move into something because the collider isn't attached to the player, just the player bounds/parent.

How do I have a collider attached to the player that moves with the player as their position is tracked while still being able to move the whole thing with the thumb stick?