Player (local avatar) can walk away from his body (Character controller)!? — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Player (local avatar) can walk away from his body (Character controller)!?

tkdHayktkdHayk Posts: 31 Oculus Start Member
I'm implementing Thumbpad locomotion + Avatar like so:

OVRPlayerController
     OVRCameraRig
           Tracking Space
                  Local Avatar

The above setup works well, with one big problem: when I walk around in physical space, the OVRCameraRig moves around in Virtual Space, leaving behind the OVRPlayerController. it basically means the player can walk away from his/her body. What I need is for the Character controller to behave like a child of the OVRCameraRig, except the its X and Z rotation values to not be affected by the OVRCameraRig. There are a few ways to do this through scripting but I haven't gotten a clean solution and I'm wondering how other people have done this. This has been done in ONWARD and GORN to name a few. The player should be able to move his charactercontroller by either the thumbstick or by roomscale movement.

Tagged:

Comments

• tkdHayktkdHayk Posts: 31 Oculus Start Member
    Hi,

Let me check into this and see if I can find some documentation on how to achieve this.

I'll update this thread at such time I have or have not located this information for you.
    thank you imperativity.

I just need the OVTPlayerController to move to follow the OVRCameraRig to prevent me from walking away from my body.  I don't think there is anything in documentation detailing how to get this done. 

hayk
  • barrell-darrellbarrell-darrell Posts: 2 Oculus Start Member
    Hey guys, did you ever work out a solution to this?

Thanks!