cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebVR - Is it no longer available in the Oculus browser on Samsung GearVR?

michael_w_mcana
Honored Guest
Hi, I recently began developing code using the wonderful WebVR Aframe.  Since I have the Samsung GearVR headset I was using the Oculus Browser and my bluetooth controller.  The code stopped working in the Oculus browser after I took the latest update.  It seems that WebVR can not be enabled at all.  Did Oculus decide to stop supporting WebVR in the Samsung GearVR configuration?  And why?  If I am incorrect, please explain how it can be enabled, as also all the old doc on the web seems to not work as well for enabling WebVR, others have posted recently.

To help you test use this link in Oculus within a Samsung GearVR with the bluetooth controller and you will see it does not work: no raycaster appears with laser when touch pad is clicked, this use to happen/work in precious version  (ie. it works fine in SamsungVR Browser with same controller, ). instead an icon now appears showing the controller with a a circle slash through it. Funny, because this did not appear before taking update. This is not my code link below, it is a commonly used component in Aframe WebVR.  I suspect that this is some kind of strategic decision by FB and Oculus, please prove me wrong.  It would be a shame that WebVR for the Samsung GearVR doesn't work in Oculus anymore.  Thank you!

Again when testing, have Samsung GearVR and bluetooth controller in Oculus browser...

https://wmurphyrd.github.io/aframe-super-hands-component/examples/mouse/

Here are some numbers from the Oculus app (under the more setting on my phone):
3.29.0.0.1233 (76067496)  Not working, must be previous version which I don't have

===

also these which don't work, previous version which I don't have

Version: 3.25.45.71710386
Runtime: 2.3.2.7084210

hope this helps!
5 REPLIES 5

michael_w_mcana
Honored Guest
Forgot to mention my phone is the basic model Samsung Galaxy S6, but it should work on all the models supported.

vrkijker
Honored Guest
Hi Michael,

Today, I also had the strange experience of WebVR suddenly not working any more in the Oculus Browser after the latest update.
Finally, I decided to try to reinstall the browser. Then, I saw the new version of the Samsung Internet Browser and installed that one instead.
I was pleased to see the new browser layout and that WebVR is working fine.
So... WebVR support is still there, but just in another browser...  🙂

Greetings,
Hans

artyom17
Expert Protege
Thanks for the report! We are currently investigating the issue. Let me reassure you: great WebVR support is one of our highest priorities for the Oculus Browser. I'll report back here as soon as I have more info about the issue.

artyom17
Expert Protege
Ok, I see what happened. The gamepad extensions got turned off by default, while in previous version gamepad extensions were on by default. We will definitely fix this. Here is how to workaround the issue:
  • Open a new tab, start typing 'chr' (w/o quotes)
  • Once you see 'chrome://chrome-urls' as a hint - click on it.
  • Click on 'chrome://flags' link
  • Search for 'Gamepad Extensions', it is located somewhere close to 3/4 of the page.
  • Change its state from 'Default' to 'Enabled'. 
  • Relaunch the Browser (you'll see a button at the bottom of the page).

michael_w_mcana
Honored Guest
Thanks for the update and work around instructions.  I'll check it out! OK work around seems to work, although extremely tedious to find.  Hope to see the Gamepad Extensions Enabled by default soon.  Again,thanks...