Social Starter scene — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Social Starter scene

Hello everyone.

I have encountered an issue when it comes to inviting people to my SocialStarter scene from the OVRAvatar SDK.. I first had an error '0: Error: OVR6139226'  that was prohibiting me ability to connect to the server but  I seem to have since resolved this issue and the ball in the middle of the room now turns white to show that I am connected. However when I start the scene but I can't invite people to my world. When I go into the Oculus dashboard by pressing either 'x' or the Oculus 'o' button I go to my friends list but I do not have the ability to invite people to my game, only to view their profile or invite them to my party. Another problem, that might be irrelevant, is that my "HelpPanel' seems to be missing a texture and hence comes up as a fluorescent pink board attached to my left hand. No errors show in the console when I test the scene. Any advice on what I might be missing in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Aaron Flemming.

Comments

• BaptisteGrBaptisteGr Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Hello,

Where can I download the Social Starter scene? I thought that it would be in the Avatar SDK but it's not.

Thanks!
  • Tallme2Tallme2 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hey BaptisteGr, 

Hello,

Where can I download the Social Starter scene? I thought that it would be in the Avatar SDK but it's not.

Thanks!

It is under the Avatar SKD, just go to: OvrAvatar -> Samples -> SocialStarter 
    There you will find the scene and assets for the social starter test scene

Kind regards, Aaron
  • mobtekmobtek Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Is there a way to control spawn locations in the map? I'm experimenting with an app derived from Social Starter and would like the host to spawn in a specific location and the remote users to spawn (randomly) in other given locations. I was expecting to find something like the NetworkStartPosition in UNET but have come up empty so far.

Thanks!
  • mobtekmobtek Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Might have stumbled on it. I see that PlayerController derives from PlatformManager which has a GetLoggedInUserCallback method that rotates between four random start positions. Now to see if I can define a start position for the local user and then other start positions for remotes.
  • Charlie_YoungCharlie_Young Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    @mobtek were you able to control the spawn locations? I am looking to do something similar.
  • Charlie_YoungCharlie_Young Posts: 3
    NerveGear

EDIT2: the help panel is a known issue and can be resolved by attaching the materials. The OVRPlayerController object in the scene should have two values in the Player Controller script calls Rift Material and Gear Material. You can just attache the appropriate materials from the material folder and it should work.
    @imperativity thanks for this. where exactly are these materials and what are their file names? i looked in the usual places but couldnt find them. 
  • Mosel3yMosel3y Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited April 1

EDIT2: the help panel is a known issue and can be resolved by attaching the materials. The OVRPlayerController object in the scene should have two values in the Player Controller script calls Rift Material and Gear Material. You can just attache the appropriate materials from the material folder and it should work.
    @imperativity thanks for this. where exactly are these materials and what are their file names? i looked in the usual places but couldnt find them. 
    @NinjaGaijin
    I don't usually do this, but I just want to complain here a little bit; this was posted in 2017, it's now 2019 and this bug still exists in this sample. Yet the solution is so simple. Why can't like one guy at Oculus just update the sample content?

I'm new to Unity and spent the last hour trying to fix this. I just think sample content should get better QC, it's what new users who want to use your product will see first, shouldn't it actually work ?