Avatar Social Starter Example Issues — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Avatar Social Starter Example Issues

3DDarren3DDarren Posts: 25 Oculus Start Member
I'm having a lot of issues so far with the social starter example. Which is included in the latest Avatar.SDK  under OvrAvatar-Samples-SocialStarter.
I also really want to be able to create a multiplayer experience using Avatars. I've been able to use Unity with VRTK and Photon to create a multiplayer experience which is ok but you can't tell who anyone is. Leading back to why I want Avatars to work. Apparently Photon also has a guide to using Avatars across their network but I thought this would be an easier first try.

From reading other posts and trying to piece together the very limited guides and documents this is what I've tried with no success on Unity 5.6.0p2 and 2017.2.0f3
  • 1 - Created a new unity project where I downloaded and imported the latest SDK's as of the date of this post. 

Oculus Utilities for Unity v. 1.20.0
     Oculus Avatar SDK 1.20.0
     Oculus Platform SDK 1.20.0
  • 2 - Created a new app to submit to the app store so I can use the app id to access Avatars in my project. 
  • 3 - Tested in the editor works as it should. But did not send the editor project to another user to test editor to editor as that doesn't help me with deployment. 
  • 4 - Built out my app to a standalone VR .exe - Tested it on my computer. Oculus didn't recognize it. Unity app just did nothing. Although I can confirm the ground turned blue and sphere turned white. So I was the host and connected. 
  • 5 - Sent it to another Oculus user to test on their computer. Crashed on start right after the unity logo.
  • 6 - Read the thread listed below and followed the quote I attached from the thread thinking this might fix the standalone build issue 
  • 7 - Uploaded it to the app store as an alpha build and added myself as a tester via email so I could add it to my library and test. Waited for about 3 minutes nothing happened. To be more clear the app didn't start. 

This is the limited Avatart guide I read. That really does need a lot more information. 
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/avatarsdk/latest/concepts/avatars-sdk-unity-example-social/ 

This is the thread that seemed to be going in the right direction to answering my question but didn't solve my issue.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/comment/561890#Comment_561890 
SkyMage said:
I haven't tested the invite feature yet, but it would require the following:
* two Oculus accounts, running on real oculus equipment (unity editor without DK2 or CV1 will be kicked)
* An APK with a properly formatted androidmanifest.xml uploaded to the alpha channel
* both accounts invited to the alpha channel, having accepted the invite, and downloaded the app from the oculus store. 
The app on the store doesn't have to be functional. After it's been installed once, it can be uninstalled, and working test builds can be run on the phone.
I suppose those two oculus accounts would also need to be eachother's friend.
Accurate to the best of my knowledge, hope it helps :)

Even though this quote is directed towards android it's the closest thing I can find to an answer. 

Any one else out there want to shed some light on their experience with building social Rift Avatar apps? 

Comments

• da9eda9e Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    darrendelorme I can't read from your post what your issue is with the Avatar SDK? Is it the invite bug or something else?
  • 3DDarren3DDarren Posts: 25 Oculus Start Member
    I have a bunch of issues. The app crashes (doesn't even start) when built out and uploaded to oculus home. What does the invite option look like? Am I inviting a friend to a party? Also avatar shows signs of it about to work but then doesn't do anything. In Unity 5.6.0p2 doesn't work at all. Unity 2017.2.0f3 Avatar SDK work in the editor but when built out to standalone creates and joins room but doesn't show avatar.