Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

GearVR app 48 - 50 fps on empty scene

smugglersmuggler Posts: 5
NerveGear
Hi, 
I am struggling with performance and it is unable to get 60FPS for Android Gear VR app. I have empty scene and I am getting 48-50 FPS. I am using Oculus Camera rig
Unity version: Unity 2017.3.0p1
Quality settings is lowest, Vsync disabled
To measure FPS using OVRFps counter from utilities.
OVR plugin 1.19.0

Do you know how where could be the problem and how to get 60fps? With previous version (Unity 5.xx) a year ago I had no problems. 

Thank you very much for ideas and help.

Screenshots from profiler recorded from device: 

Comments

• smugglersmuggler Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Today I tried create new project, imported Oculus utilities 1.21.0 an FPS still 48-50 on Samsung Galaxy S6
  • smugglersmuggler Posts: 5
    NerveGear
  • l0g1kl0g1k Posts: 47 Oculus Start Member
    From my testing I would not touch 2017.x unless you absolutely need some feature which is not provided by 5.6. It's a complete mine-field for mobile VR. 

• l0g1kl0g1k Posts: 47 Oculus Start Member
    Also, as you have seen, there seems to be absolutely no performance regression testing or Oculus app submissions carried out when a  Unity new version is released, so don't trust that just because there is a new Unity version that it will be better. It can and will be significantly slower!
  • ClaytoniousClaytonious Posts: 26 Oculus Start Member

EDIT: I have confirmed that there is a known Unity mobile regression ( non-VR) on 2017.3 causing this to occur. You will have to use an earlier version of Unity in the meantime.
    Wait - so "non-VR" means that this regression doesn't affect VR? So it actually the culprit here? Can you share a link to a Unity bug report number or anything like that? Thanks!