New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

[DEV-BLOG] Introducing Oculus Start

imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,471 Oculus Staff
Today, we're launching a developer program called Oculus Start aimed at providing access, support and savings to qualifying VR developers. We're launching this program to offload some of the development costs of qualified developers so that they can focus on what's really important - creating amazing VR applications.

You can read more (and apply for the program) here: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-start/

Please tag me @imperativity in your forum post/response if you need immediate assistance or want additional support or context on an issue you are having with our software or integrations.

Having an issue with our platform, services, or integrations?

Try using our new bug tool to report this and receive emailed updates as we proceed to address it internally.

Comments

• ENiKSENiKS Posts: 80 Oculus Start Member
    edited January 18
    Since the address bar in the form is restricted to just a few address, does it means that developers outside these countries are out of luck? Or that we just need to get something like a mail-forwarding address in these countries?
  • SmokingBoudiccaSmokingBoudicca Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi there, I was just wondering when we might anticipate receiving an e-mail for our application?
  • SmokingBoudiccaSmokingBoudicca Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    How is the program going?
  • alan_worthalan_worth Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I would be willing to help in development and/or testing. I'm experiencing problems right now getting my sensor to work that was working for months. Wondering what software is being used for Oculus RIFT? I have been a well known programmer in many languages (Assembler, Visual C++, Omnis, and many more).
  • KdragosKdragos Posts: 17 Oculus Start Member
    edited February 16
    So excited to get started! Got my acceptance today.  :smiley:
  • jumblijumbli Posts: 171 Oculus Start Member
    edited February 15
    I'm very excited to have just got my acceptance as an Oculus Start member. I'll have to think very carefully about when to use up my support requests so I don't waste such a valuable resource. Thanks for starting this new initiative, it's much appreciated :)

p.s.  imperativity the Welcome email's final link is invalid. It has a "www" on the beginning which shouldn't be there.
    Developer of Dimensional, The Relentless, Breath Tech
    View my dev blog at JumbliVR.com
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,471 Oculus Staff
    @jumbli

Thanks for the feedback here. Welcome aboard!
    Please tag me @imperativity in your forum post/response if you need immediate assistance or want additional support or context on an issue you are having with our software or integrations.

Try using our new bug tool to report this and receive emailed updates as we proceed to address it internally.
  • K MonkeyK Monkey Posts: 10 Oculus Start Member
    I also want to thank you guys for responding quicker than I thought. Just got acceptance last night and looking forward to it :)
  • onepixelsfotonepixelsfot Posts: 1 Oculus Start Member
    Hello everyone

I have already received the mail of "Oculus Start", many and thank you and here I am in the forums if you need something from me. a greeting
  • AlanOTooleAlanOToole Posts: 110 Oculus Start Member
    It is so great to see people being accepted now, that's very promising! 
    DreamTapp.com
    Twitter: @Alan_OToole
  • MalicoreMalicore Posts: 34 Oculus Start Member
    Congrats to everyone so far.  How long will this program be open for submissions?  I plan on submitting my first build in the next couple of months. 
  • RJdoesVRRJdoesVR Posts: 50 Oculus Start Member
    edited February 21
    Got accepted today, very excited! You better believe I'm gonna make use of that Unity Plus license. And maybe I can use my support requests to get some long awaited answers on GearVR development :P
  • peggamespeggames Posts: 1 Oculus Start Member
    Excited to be apart of the Oculus Start program as well. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone at Oculus for offering this level of support to new developers.
  • mallmagicianmallmagician Posts: 286 Oculus Start Member
    edited February 26
    Also excited and immensely grateful to have been accepted into Oculus Start. Thanks. :)

Edit:- My Oculus Start badge doesn't appear to be working. 
  • wehardwehard Posts: 41 Oculus Start Member
    Hey everyone! Excited to be a part of the program!
  • NeontopNeontop Posts: 129 Oculus Start Member
    I’m proud to be in that adventure as an Oculus Start member.
    Thank you Oculus Team and Oculus Developer Support Team

Hello,
    Is it possible to have an explanation about the access to (5) instances of dedicated support.
    Thank you very much.

Hi @imperativity!
    I think it would be nice to have a private forum for Start members to discuss the programs ins and outs. What do you guys think?
    edited March 9
    wehard said:
    Hi @imperativity!
    I think it would be nice to have a private forum for Start members to discuss the programs ins and outs. What do you guys think?

In Oculus Start it is mentioned:
    "Connect with the community of VR developers to share your development experiences."
    I think that we are in the developer community here....or may be not ?
    But I'm agree with your point.

edited March 9
    Neontop said:
    wehard said:
    Hi @imperativity!

In Oculus Start it is mentioned:
    "Connect with the community of VR developers to share your development experiences."
    I think that we are in the developer community here....or may be not ?
    But I'm agree with your point.

Yes, that's true. But I think it would be nice to have a private forum for us that have similar starting points and shared goals. It's always nice to be a part of a group, and a subforum would make that more concrete. A place where we could discuss program specifics, arrange meet-ups and - possibly in the future - hardware related stuff that might be under NDA.
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,471 Oculus Staff
    @wehard

Thanks for the suggestion. We will look into this on our end and see what we can do.

edited March 9
    imperativity said:
    @wehard

Thanks for the suggestion. We will look into this on our end and see what we can do.
    Cool, i think it will be a useful addition

edit - i also still cant figure out where the badge is (its not with the normal badges)
  • RJdoesVRRJdoesVR Posts: 50 Oculus Start Member
    Excited for GDC!! Any info on what days the Santa Cruz booth is running or when the Developer Party is?
    K Monkey said:
    imperativity said:
    @wehard

edit - i also still cant figure out where the badge is (its not with the normal badges)
    I was missing it too at first. Just reply to the welcome email and they'll sort it out.
  • lukeskywatcherlukeskywatcher Posts: 94 Oculus Start Member
    Exited to get accepted today, thanks so much to all at Oculus :blush:, this support is invaluable. Now better make these 5 wishes good ones! Look forward chatting to you all + best luck.
    Exited to get accepted today, thanks so much to all at Oculus :blush:, this support is invaluable. Now better make these 5 wishes good ones! Look forward chatting to you all + best luck.
    Congrats! 

I uploaded our build a week ago and are waiting to hear back, so stoked!
    DreamTapp.com
  • lukeskywatcherlukeskywatcher Posts: 94 Oculus Start Member
    Best luck Alan, and thanks for posting video to help others using Oculus Platform Command Line Utility - Imperativity's advice helped me alot (before you posted).
    Waiting's hard, makes you like child at christmas again, hopefully not to long :)

Best luck Alan, and thanks for posting video to help others using Oculus Platform Command Line Utility - Imperativity's advice helped me alot (before you posted).
    Waiting's hard, makes you like child at christmas again, hopefully not to long :)

haha so true :smile: 

No problem at all for that video! 

Here's to starting the long game-dev adventure, cheers!

DreamTapp.com
    wehard said:
    K Monkey said:
    imperativity said:
    @wehard

I was missing it too at first. Just reply to the welcome email and they'll sort it out.
    Thanks :) i'll give that a go. I will also poke them about my hardware requests... its past beginning of march already ;)