cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus index finger raycast

JBivBeats
Protege
Can anyone shed some light on implementing the Oculus hands fingers to shoot a beam out while index finger is extended for selection of ui buttons.  I currently have the selection with a reticle and headset gaze but I would like to be able to use the hands instead to make it more user friendly.  I am using unity 2017.2 Any suggestions would help

4 REPLIES 4

MikeF
Trustee
at the bottom of this page https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/avatarsdk/latest/concepts/avatars-sdk-unity/#avatars-sdk-unity theres a section that details how to get transforms for specific joints in the hands, so i'd use that as a raycast start position. Then just check if your index capacitance is either 0 or 1 and disable/enable raycasting acordingly

JBivBeats
Protege
Thank you for the reply, this is a good starting point

domportera
Honored Guest
How do you check the index capacitance?

alexvilch
Protege
I have posted this question in other threads, Transform function is not working in Avatar SDK in fact Avatar SDK was not used for Oculus Dash.
From my understanding to accomplish casting the Ray our of the index finger you would have to go to Animation for the finger and when certain position is reached catch this event and cast the Ray out of the index finger.
it doesn’t look you can do it with Avatar SDK you would need to customize your hands. You can take distancegrabable hands from distance grab scene from Sample Framework as an example and start from this point.

Alex