[GearVR] 3D widget performance jittery/sensitive and often 'sticks' in 4.19 — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[GearVR] 3D widget performance jittery/sensitive and often 'sticks' in 4.19

aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 202 Oculus Start Member
I'm testing on 4.19 P4 binary and the 4.19 Oculus branch based on the same version, and the issue from 4.17 is back making 4.19 (like 4.17) un-usable for gearvr:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/56090/gearvr-3d-widget-performance-degregation-in-4-17

Any chance of getting that fixed before 4.19 is finalized?

Example test project attached with 3 widgets attached - noticed if you move your head left and right even at a medium speed the widgets stick make you feel sick even though you are getting 60FPS

4.18 version of the same project by comparison has no such issue (also attached - notice smooth as silk in comparison!)
Please note: 4.17 had the same issue so something must have been re-introduced?

Tagged:

Comments

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,367 Oculus Start Member
    I render my widget in the stereo layers and I didn't notice any performance issues in 4.19p4.. I didn't specifically move head left and right though as I mostly paid attention to fps counter.
  • aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 202 Oculus Start Member
    Yeah this is for the normal 3D widget not a stereo layer.
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,367 Oculus Start Member
    I see. Out of curiosity, why would you want to use 3D widget as-is, without Stereo Layer ? (since quality would be worse when not used on a Stereo Layer)
    motorsep said:
    I see. Out of curiosity, why would you want to use 3D widget as-is, without Stereo Layer ? (since quality would be worse when not used on a Stereo Layer)
    Main reason was when the project was originally done the Stereo Layer feature did not exist. There is an extensive amount of 3D widgets so replacing them all will take some work.

Secondary reason having not tried them I was never sure if they were as "real-time" as a normal widget not being in a Stereo Layer, ie handling widget animations etc.
    I just tested again on the new 1.23.0 integration and the problem has been fixed!

I noticed in the release feature list there:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/62121/unreal-engine-4-integration-1-23-0-released-february-13th-2018#latest
    New Features
    • A latency reduction for late-update has been integrated into this release. This is particularly helpful for Oculus mobile platforms.
    I guess this fixed it from 1.22.0

@imperativity will the Unreal 4.19 final release be getting this 1.23.0 update?

@aussieburgerVR

I'll append this to the internal task and get some clarity for you. Thanks!

EDIT: 4.19 is locked on SI1.21 and will never upgrade to 1.23. So it looks like we won't be able to address this in previous versions.
    Damn - thank you @impertivity for the update at least the Oculus 4.19 branch is working. I assume there is a good chance 4.20 would get at least 1.23? Do you have any clarity on that?