Oculus Go + Bluetooth Keyboard — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Oculus Go + Bluetooth Keyboard

ryannelsonryannelson Posts: 1
NerveGear
Has anyone had success pairing a bluetooth keyboard with the Oculus Go? @la_reina seem to confirm that they are supported, but the Oculus app doesn't show pairing options other than gamepads and controllers. I'm hoping they'll be officially supported at some point soon :-)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/comment/608479/#Comment_608479
Tagged:

Comments

• HalvusVRHalvusVR Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    You have apps in the store that require a gamepad...Obviously you support other controllers than the included one.
  • tucker.richardson.3tucker.richardson.3 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Are there any plans to support a Bluetooth keyboard?
  • foasfoas Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Is this not a hackable thing?
  • Lupus_SolusLupus_Solus Posts: 79 Oculus Start Member
    I would love the option to have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse!

I want to set up a virtual office space in the Go, remote to my work machine that has all of my development programs installed; then just throw a roll up bluetooth keyboard and a bluetooth mouse into the bag with the Go and BOOM - work from anywhere! 
    Lupus Solus - Lone developer of Push For Emor
    Push For Emor: http://www.pushforemor.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/pushforemor
  • msitarzewskimsitarzewski Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I would love the option to have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse!

I want to set up a virtual office space in the Go, remote to my work machine that has all of my development programs installed; then just throw a roll up bluetooth keyboard and a bluetooth mouse into the bag with the Go and BOOM - work from anywhere! 
    Exactly this. I do it with the Windows Mixed Reality platform already, and have been honing my touch typing skills ever since. With the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, the Go is essentially a Chromebook with lots of 3D entertainment built in. :)
  • RuptureGamesRuptureGames Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2018
    Is anyone aware of an actual thread going somewhere where people are discussing how to get a Bluetooth keyboard + mouse with go? I've already found a great remote desktop with moonlight for go.  I find it hard to believe one can pair an xb1 controller and not a keyboard.  
  • Colonel_IzziColonel_Izzi Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited June 2018
    Keyboards work but support needs to be implemented at the individual app level.  You can sideload the Samsung Internet for Gear VR browser to your Go and use a keyboard with it for example.  QuakeGVR is another example.  Wired USB keyboards work, wireless USB dongle keyboards work, but some (perhaps most) bluetooth keyboards don't want to pair.  I've seen one report of a successful pairing but I haven't been able to replicate the success. 

Mice are different.  They are supported at the underlying OS level, and I've had no trouble pairing bluetooth mice using the Pair Gamepad function (wired and wireless mice work too), but the Oculus environment doesn't capture the cursor and bring it into the VR viewport so instead it just hovers above everything and doesn't interact with anything. 

In other words keyboard support is already there, and mouse support is half way there.  And it doesn't seem like it would take much to bring it all together.  Individual apps still need to support these input devices though.
  • foasfoas Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I messaged the creator of the NativeBT plugin on the asset store and he is willing to let me demo the plugin to see if it works for the OculusGo. If it pairs up with a keyboard/mouse I'll be sure to share the steps.

Does anyone know if the OculusGo uses Bluetooth Classic or Bluetooth low energy?

@imperativity
  • NinjaGaijinNinjaGaijin Posts: 198 Oculus Staff
    @foas

I believe the Oculus Go uses BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy).
    If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
    2. Please submit a ticket here (include what you've gathered in step 1).
    3. Tag me @NinjaGaijin once you have done so!
  • blueravendigitalblueravendigital Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    +1 to @msitarzewski and @Lupus_Solus -- I'm working in a data engineering skunkworks position in a healthcare software org, we'd like to pilot a variety of dev and data viz use cases by end of 2018 using OculusGo and in order to get there we need a simple mobile work environment. Bluetooth mouse + keyboard seem foundational here.  

@imperativity who can I connect with regarding the above?
  • chettawanchettawan Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've heard somewhere that you can use bt keyboard in Vendetta Online. I just order one will try out.
  • MiraendaMiraenda Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Recently, I've purchased a Bluetooth device that's a wearable keyboard and mouse called Tap (https://www.tapwithus.com/). I had thought Oculus Go would natively support this, but apparently it's just Oculus Rift. That's a bummer. I am going to try to get it to work, but I would like to request that Oculus seriously consider providing support for these type of devices. This device is perfectly suited for a VR experience. That's why I chose it. Now, I do plan to use it at work to replace my standard keyboard as well, but I wanted to be able to use it for everything and now I may not be able to do that.
  • kevin.fries.3110kevin.fries.3110 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Lets just say for argument sake  :D that I was the solutions architect of a new startup that was creating a virtual keyboard designed specifically for virtualized environments... just for argument sake of course.

How would I go about getting my keyboard supported on the Go?  One of key demographics we want to go after (you know in this "fictional" company) is mobile desktop.  So, IF we had a device, there is obviously a market... Where could we, and how could we bring these two together.  All I am seeing is a bunch of want, not allot of solving