cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual artifacts on lights and particle effects after 1.26 update

martin-t
Honored Guest
Hi,

after the 1.26 update, we've started to experience very strange artifacts with lighting and particle effects in our Unity VR experience. We're using Unity 2017.3.0, the built-in lighting (point lights) and built-in particle system. Every light now has a very strange camera-aligned semi-transparent quad around it and particles look like they are incorrectly blended and they have a similar quad around them as well. Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots as this behavior is visible only through Rift, everything looks fine on screen, I'll think about a way to capture it. This is happening both in editor and in a build and for new and old builds alike. PCs that are not yet updated to 1.26 don't suffer from this issue.

We are operating a large-scale location-based VR experience, so this is a critical impediment. All of the backpack PCs have already been updated and we simply can't charge our customers when the visuals are clearly broken. I'll try to provide more detailed information, but in the meantime, is there any immediate workaround? Can we roll-back to a previous Oculus version?

I can't stress enough how critical for us it is to resolve this issue fast.

Thanks,

Martin
1 REPLY 1

martin-t
Honored Guest
For anyone running into the same issue, it seems like the behavior is caused by using R16G16B16A16_FP eye texture format. We were using it to address banding / posterization artifacts in dark areas, as suggested in this Oculus blogpost. This worked without any issues up until the 1.26 update. Changing the eye texture format to R11G11B10_FP does seem to resolve the issue, while still addressing the banding, which is a sufficient fix for now. I'm attaching 2 screenshots taken by phone through the HMD lenses, notice the transparent grayscale quads, visible especially in the brighter areas of the image. I'm not sure if this is a bug or something anticipated, if the latter than it should be clearly documented, as it is a breaking change of a public API.
hiszpmmbkee7.jpg4udwzv2ivdmh.jpg