How to create connection between Oculus GO and an Android device trough Unity app? — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

How to create connection between Oculus GO and an Android device trough Unity app?

NicoleSzNicoleSz Posts: 2
NerveGear
I'm trying to develop an app for Oculus GO, that would send some data to an Android device.
Also, I need to be able to open the app's first scene (restart app) through the Android device.
I am thinking about using Unity offline multiplayer using Unity's Network Discovery component, but am not sure if it's the right direction.

What are the possibilities? What is the best way to do that?
How can I make it work?

Comments

• NicoleSzNicoleSz Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi,

Thank you for your quick response.

My use case is as follows:
    Let's say the app consists of something like cutscenes played one after another.
    A user starts the Unity app on Oculus Go. Now, another person starts the Unity app on their phone/tablet. As one presses a "start" button on the phone, the first cutscene begins to play on the Oculus. On the phone, the person should know where the user is (for example by text "cutscene2").

I know that using Unity offline multiplayer it is possible to connect two android devices. How is it with vr, especially Oculus GO, which is our target device?
  • lsummerslsummers Posts: 25 Oculus Start Member
    You can definitely use Unity Multiplayer if you want to transmit data between two devices.  However, if you are are connecting offline and outside of the multiplayer servers, then there isn't much point.  In which case, you may as well as just connect direct to each other over IP.  Or use a sharing service such as PlayCanvas.  Or another multiplayer sub-engine (Photon, and Forge, for example).  But yes, you either need to manually connect device A to device B over IP.  Or use a third-party service to "connect to" and initiate a path of communication between devices.

This is more of a how to use multiplayer on Unity than anything Oculus specific imo.  So, I'd recommend grabbing a tea and watch a multiplayer tutorial on youtube or the multiplayer tutorials on the unity page :)
  • Bay3DBay3D Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    NicoleSz said:
    Hi,

Thank you for your quick response.

My use case is as follows:
    Let's say the app consists of something like cutscenes played one after another.
    A user starts the Unity app on Oculus Go. Now, another person starts the Unity app on their phone/tablet. As one presses a "start" button on the phone, the first cutscene begins to play on the Oculus. On the phone, the person should know where the user is (for example by text "cutscene2").

I know that using Unity offline multiplayer it is possible to connect two android devices. How is it with vr, especially Oculus GO, which is our target device?
    Hey NicoleSz,
    I am really interested in hearing if you managed to work this out? Im trying to achieve the exact same thing (a Unity app controlling an Oculus Go presentation by starting /switching scenes) Ive tried using Forge but the networking aspect isnt coming together. Just wondering how you managed to do it in the end - what technology you used?
    Thanks for any insight, much appreciated!
    Andy