Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums will be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.
New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

[Go / Gear VR] Modulated shadows are not supported ?

motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,301 Oculus Start Member
I was trying to test performance on Gear VR with modulated shadows from directional light turned on and it doesn't seem like modulated shadows are supported (or rather none of the dynamic shadows types is supported).

Is that the case or do I need to do something special to get modulated shadows working in mobile VR ?

Thanks

Comments

• imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,587 Valuable Player
    Hi,

I've checked internally and this is a known issue. We would recommend not using this feature right now until we nail down a fix.
  • HEGIHEGI Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    CSM shadows do work fine. But only when multiview is disabled.
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,301 Oculus Start Member
    edited June 2018
    HEGI said:
    That probably kills performance by a lot ?

I wouldn't want to have mobile VR app with multi-view disabled.
  • HEGIHEGI Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    motorsep said:
    HEGI said:
    That probably kills performance by a lot ?

I wouldn't want to have mobile VR app with multi-view disabled.
    Yea, it is not very optimized.  I hope this will be fixed in a future release, so everything works with multiview. Render Textures also do not work with multiview.
    @imperativity

Are there any news about a fix for either modulated shadows or CSM shadows with multiview, or both ? Thanks
  • maxBrmaxBr Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    @imperativity It would be nice if there was some 'source' where every developer could quickly read up on the latest news / best practices etc. Could be a sticky or quickstart webpage maybe?

At the moment, every developer has to find out themselves on the forums (UE / Unity and Oculus), sparse  documentation (and not always correct / up to date) if a feature does work or not. Of course, for a dev its always good to read more about the tech but, sometimes you end up wasting a lot of time and it can be frustrating when the info is lacking or faulty.

For instance Vulkan - it's supported in UE (project settings), but you have to find out in a forum post over here that its not supported at this time. The same can be said about the questions above and some more on this forum.

Maybe it's just how it always is for devs but I just had to ask once.
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,587 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    @maxBr

We do regular announcements in blog posts on our developer site here:

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/

Here is last month's tech notes blog that gives guidance on upcoming features in software releases:

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/-june-monthly-tech-updates/

Regarding this:

sometimes you end up wasting a lot of time and it can be frustrating when the info is lacking or faulty. 

For instance Vulkan - it's supported in UE (project settings), but you have to find out in a forum post over here that its not supported at this time. The same can be said about the questions above and some more on this forum.

I totally hear you in regards to wanting up-to-date notifications of newly supported features, bug in our software and integrations, and other assorted best practices with regards to developing on our platform. As an example, when Vulkan support is ready for UE4 we will publicly announce this in a tech update blog post and in sticky posts on the forums. Vulkan support would also be listed in the latest release notes as well.

That is why I am here on the forums to do my best as the interlink between our community and our various engineering departments within. My team is also continually providing support via our ticketing systembug tool, and sometimes via email through our feedback system on our developer site. 

The forums are great to ask questions and it's important to always tag me or one of my coworkers in a post or new discussion. We'll do our absolute best to track down an answer for you.
  • maxBrmaxBr Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    @imperativity Thanks for the reply,

I will keep my eye on the blog for updates!
  • Labrodex_AHLabrodex_AH Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited December 2018
    Yep, I also had to find out the hard way Vulkan and Modulated Shadows not working for Oculus GO. It is crazy to me that we have these features that are rolled out and should be supported out of the box, only to discover it is half way implemented or simply doesn't work. Both modulated shadows and Vulkan could really up the quality of the apps you receive for the GO.....after-all, don't you want to have visually impressive apps using the latest and greatest tech?!

Update your documentation to reflect these features not being supported. Even if a temporary note at the top of the page or outlined in the feature. This would save developers a lot of time and frustration.This falls on communication between the Unreal Documentation and Oculus Documentation teams.

A lot of the documentation for Oculus in relation to UE4 is out of date as well. Images, procedures, and even tools no longer exist in the engine. Trust me when I say, I know how often UE4 is up to date, but I feel the Oculus documentation could be updated half the amount of time which would better assist developers trying to create for the GO.
    I would say it's not going to happen until Oculus Quest is released.. I submitted a ticket to Oculus a while back. Just got a reply saying I need to submit a new ticket for the same thing. WTF?! What's going on at Oculus. From 100% they went downhill lately.
  • Labrodex_AHLabrodex_AH Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Yeah this is all pretty frustrating considering we want to show a demo to some clients on the latest technology, and it makes us look bad when we cannot get dynamic shadows working without taking a large performance hit. Unreal has the technology and capability to unlock these necessary features on the device and keep things optimized, it is just the integration feels half-completed which is a crutch to every Unreal developer trying to make something for your platform (Oculus Go & Quest).