cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Go / Gear VR] Modulated shadows are not supported ?

motorsep
Rising Star
I was trying to test performance on Gear VR with modulated shadows from directional light turned on and it doesn't seem like modulated shadows are supported (or rather none of the dynamic shadows types is supported).

Is that the case or do I need to do something special to get modulated shadows working in mobile VR ?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

HEGI
Protege
CSM shadows do work fine. But only when multiview is disabled.

motorsep
Rising Star

HEGI said:

That probably kills performance by a lot ?

I wouldn't want to have mobile VR app with multi-view disabled.

HEGI
Protege

motorsep said:

HEGI said:

That probably kills performance by a lot ?

I wouldn't want to have mobile VR app with multi-view disabled.

Yea, it is not very optimized.  I hope this will be fixed in a future release, so everything works with multiview. Render Textures also do not work with multiview.

motorsep
Rising Star
@imperativity

Are there any news about a fix for either modulated shadows or CSM shadows with multiview, or both ? Thanks

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
@imperativity It would be nice if there was some 'source' where every developer could quickly read up on the latest news / best practices etc. Could be a sticky or quickstart webpage maybe?

At the moment, every developer has to find out themselves on the forums (UE / Unity and Oculus), sparse  documentation (and not always correct / up to date) if a feature does work or not. Of course, for a dev its always good to read more about the tech but, sometimes you end up wasting a lot of time and it can be frustrating when the info is lacking or faulty.

For instance Vulkan - it's supported in UE (project settings), but you have to find out in a forum post over here that its not supported at this time. The same can be said about the questions above and some more on this forum.

Maybe it's just how it always is for devs but I just had to ask once.

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
@imperativity Thanks for the reply,

I will keep my eye on the blog for updates!

Labrodex_AH
Honored Guest
Yep, I also had to find out the hard way Vulkan and Modulated Shadows not working for Oculus GO. It is crazy to me that we have these features that are rolled out and should be supported out of the box, only to discover it is half way implemented or simply doesn't work. Both modulated shadows and Vulkan could really up the quality of the apps you receive for the GO.....after-all, don't you want to have visually impressive apps using the latest and greatest tech?!

Update your documentation to reflect these features not being supported. Even if a temporary note at the top of the page or outlined in the feature. This would save developers a lot of time and frustration.This falls on communication between the Unreal Documentation and Oculus Documentation teams.

A lot of the documentation for Oculus in relation to UE4 is out of date as well. Images, procedures, and even tools no longer exist in the engine. Trust me when I say, I know how often UE4 is up to date, but I feel the Oculus documentation could be updated half the amount of time which would better assist developers trying to create for the GO.

motorsep
Rising Star
I would say it's not going to happen until Oculus Quest is released.. I submitted a ticket to Oculus a while back. Just got a reply saying I need to submit a new ticket for the same thing. WTF?! What's going on at Oculus. From 100% they went downhill lately.

Labrodex_AH
Honored Guest
Yeah this is all pretty frustrating considering we want to show a demo to some clients on the latest technology, and it makes us look bad when we cannot get dynamic shadows working without taking a large performance hit. Unreal has the technology and capability to unlock these necessary features on the device and keep things optimized, it is just the integration feels half-completed which is a crutch to every Unreal developer trying to make something for your platform (Oculus Go & Quest).