New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

[Go / Gear VR] Are UE 4.20 updates relevant to mobile VR ?

motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,263 Oculus Start Member
@imperativity

4.20 preview 1 is out and it has some interesting goodies: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1485599-unreal-engine-4-20-preview

I am wondering if any of those goodies relevant to Go / Gear VR (GLES2 and Vulkan in the nearest future):

Instanced Stereo Rendering: Translucency Support. We’ve taken the improvements to the Instance Stereo Rendering (ISR) path that we made for Robo Recall, and improved them to work across a more robust set of features in the engine. 4.20 adds support for performing the translucency rendering pass using ISR, which can significantly reduce CPU cost on translucency-heavy scenes

Mobile Updates:
  • All of the mobile improvements and optimizations we’ve made for Fortnite on iOS and Android
    • Improved Android Debugging
    • Mobile Landscape Improvements
    • RHO Thread on Android
    • Occlusion Queries on Mobile
    • Software Occlusion Culling
    • Platform Material Stats
    • Improve Mobile Specular Lighting Model

Comments

• imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,471 Oculus Staff
    @motorsep

I'm not sure yet until I get internal guidance on where we are focusing our efforts for the next release. I'll ask around and see where we land.

Please tag me @imperativity in your forum post/response if you need immediate assistance or want additional support or context on an issue you are having with our software or integrations.

Having an issue with our platform, services, or integrations?

Try using our new bug tool to report this and receive emailed updates as we proceed to address it internally.
  • TomCHallTomCHall Posts: 32 Oculus Start Member
    It seems like unreal engine really doesn't want to get onto the mobile VR track, which means developers who are getting into the GO as a precursor of the santa cruz are going to move to unity.
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,263 Oculus Start Member
    TomCHall said:
    It seems like unreal engine really doesn't want to get onto the mobile VR track, which means developers who are getting into the GO as a precursor of the santa cruz are going to move to unity.
    What makes you say that?
  • owenwpowenwp Posts: 667 Oculus Start Member
    edited June 22
    Instanced stereo rendering is PC only.  On mobile I believe it is called multi-view rendering, which uses a special OpenGL ES extension that Oculus wrote.
    Sanzaru - Programmer
    @imperativity

4.20 is officially out. It has hardware occlusions for mobile and that only works with ES3.1 and Vulkan. With all that talent at Oculus, are we really not going to see Vulkan support in Go rather soon, to take full advantage of all these new performance enhancing features and optimizations ?
    @motorsep

Due to some outstanding bugs in this implementation, we are holding back on releasing a mobile Vulkan release at this time. I don't have an ETA for release unfortunately.
    Please tag me @imperativity in your forum post/response if you need immediate assistance or want additional support or context on an issue you are having with our software or integrations.

Try using our new bug tool to report this and receive emailed updates as we proceed to address it internally.
  • maxBrmaxBr Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 19
    Too bad there's no Vulkan support.

The Instanced Stereo Rendering: Translucency Support is very nice though. In a scene with a lot of trees I go from 40fps to 60fps on the GO which is very nice.
    maxBr said:
    Too bad there's no Vulkan support.

The Instanced Stereo Rendering: Translucency Support is very nice though. In a scene with a lot of trees I go from 40fps to 60fps on the GO which is very nice.
    So it works on mobile after all? As far as I remember 4.20 release notes say it's Rift only.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 26
    @motorsep I just can say; In a project with a lot of trees, I see a 20fps increase when comparing 4.19 to 4.20. Tested the 4.20 build in another 'heavy' project without many trees or transparency and I see no increase in fps so I guessed this was the reason.

Another feature in 4.20; the splash screen is working now (1280x1440 image). project settings -> OculusVR -> SplashScreen

Edit -  after doing some more investigation:
    Something is bugged...stopping & starting the same 4.20 project within 20 seconds or so on the GO, the second time the screen stays black and you have to reboot the Go???!
    If you briefly press the power button and then start the second session it works fine.
    Alternating two different 4.20 projects is fine,
    running the same 4.19 project many times in a row is fine as well.
    Reported @ UE - hoping this gets fixed soon.

maxBr said:

Another feature in 4.20; the splash screen is working now (1280x1440 image). project settings -> OculusVR -> SplashScreen
    Although its bugged...starting & stopping the same project (with a splash screen) twice in a row, the second time the screen stays black and you have to reboot the Go???!
    If you briefly press the power button and then start the second session it works fine. Alternating two different projects with a splash screen is fine, running the same project without a splash screen many times in a row is fine as well. Reported @ UE - hoping this gets fixed soon.

If you are using Oculus fork of UE4, probably worth reporting it to Oculus too.
    Hiro Protagonist
    motorsep said:
    If you are using Oculus fork of UE4, probably worth reporting it to Oculus too.
    Not using any fork. Using the default 4.20 from the UnrealLauncher. I investigated some more and changed my original post above.
    In short; its not the splash screen - its with any project build with 4.20 that's restarted within 20 seconds or so...
  • voobrazhenievoobrazhenie Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey! I found one critical issue in unreal engine 4.20.0 and 4.20.1. Gear VR touch input is disabled. After bug report to ue, they approved and created a bug - https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-62251. Hope it will be fixed in 4.20.2. Vote for bug if you can. 
  • NeontopNeontop Posts: 129 Oculus Start Member
    edited July 28
    Voted...Thanks @voobrazhenie

edited July 28
    Hey! I found one critical issue in unreal engine 4.20.0 and 4.20.1. Gear VR touch input is disabled. After bug report to ue, they approved and created a bug - https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-62251. Hope it will be fixed in 4.20.2. Vote for bug if you can. 
    I hate this forum software - once I accidentally hit Tab and cursor goes into quoted field, I can't get it out and type my reply :/ Sorry about post with quote but no reply.

@voobrazhenie Here is what I wanted to say - it's worth sending a bug report to Oculus directly, because Epic might have a target fix for 4.99 (as there is no Gear VR support in Fortnite BR) and I am sure we all need it to be fixed in 4.20.2  ;)
  • aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    Actually this is by design by Oculus I think in the new Oculus SDK version? There are new nodes for the GearVR touchpad:

Once I switched to using these everything worked as expected again

Art3mis
    motorsep said:
    @imperativity

4.20 preview 1 is out and it has some interesting goodies: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1485599-unreal-engine-4-20-preview

I am wondering if any of those goodies relevant to Go / Gear VR (GLES2 and Vulkan in the nearest future):

Instanced Stereo Rendering: Translucency Support. We’ve taken the improvements to the Instance Stereo Rendering (ISR) path that we made for Robo Recall, and improved them to work across a more robust set of features in the engine. 4.20 adds support for performing the translucency rendering pass using ISR, which can significantly reduce CPU cost on translucency-heavy scenes

Mobile Updates:
    • All of the mobile improvements and optimizations we’ve made for Fortnite on iOS and Android
      • Improved Android Debugging
      • Mobile Landscape Improvements
      • RHO Thread on Android
      • Occlusion Queries on Mobile
      • Software Occlusion Culling
      • Platform Material Stats
      • Improve Mobile Specular Lighting Model

I tested some of this stuff out and it's really great! I've several projects that have specular and it looks so much better now. The hardware Occlusion with ES3.1 works on mobile vr but only if you disable Multi-view. With multi-view on meshes that should be visible are only visible on certain angles. So it will depend on the project if this brings more gain than mutli-view.

Did anyone create a bug for Epic to fix occlusion with multi-view yet?

The hardware Occlusion with ES3.1 works on mobile vr but only if you disable Multi-view. With multi-view on meshes that should be visible are only visible on certain angles. So it will depend on the project if this brings more gain than mutli-view.

Can't speak for the rest, but I haven't submitted anything since I haven't had a chance to test ES3.1 (it used to not work for me on Gear VR using S6).

If I were you, I'd submit it to both Epic and Oculus. I can't imagine running mobile VR games without multiview.
    Art3mis
    motorsep said:
    The hardware Occlusion with ES3.1 works on mobile vr but only if you disable Multi-view. With multi-view on meshes that should be visible are only visible on certain angles. So it will depend on the project if this brings more gain than mutli-view.

Can't speak for the rest, but I haven't submitted anything since I haven't had a chance to test ES3.1 (it used to not work for me on Gear VR using S6).

If I were you, I'd submit it to both Epic and Oculus. I can't imagine running mobile VR games without multiview.
    Bug ticket for Epic is public here:

Please vote guys! ;) I think it's an Epic issue not Oculus since the same occurs on Daydream.

FYI @motorsep : Did you try ES3.1 with 4.19 on your device to see if that works? My last tests with ES3.1 from 4.19 have it finally working for my projects at least

@imperativity

^^ we have a breach here  :#

• CykyriaCykyria Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    So I tried the 4.20 Oculus Github fork today and this is still happening. Was that fixed and I need to change some settings, or do we have to wait for 4.21?
    Cykyria said:
    So I tried the 4.20 Oculus Github fork today and this is still happening. Was that fixed and I need to change some settings, or do we have to wait for 4.21?
    What is still happening ?
    NerveGear
    the culling bug:

1. Enable Mobile Multiview and Support OpenGL ES3.1
    2. Launch on Oculus GO (User reports same behavior on GearVR and Daydream)

Result: Occlusion is mostly reversed (many objects not rendered until you look away)

@imperativity

I am wondering if either Oculus or Epic will  be looking into https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-62347 , now that Vulkan on Go is a reality.
    @motorsep

it is something we are aware of internally but are not currently pursuing a fix for at this time.

:o
     :/ 
     :( 
    NerveGear
    that's a pitty :(
    will use 4.19 then until it's fixed (hopefully) in 4.21...
    Cykyria said:
    that's a pitty :(
    will use 4.19 then until it's fixed (hopefully) in 4.21...
    Doesn't really make sense to stay on 4.19 since 4.20 engine runs better in VR overall, even without occlusions. 
    Art3mis
    edited August 23
    I'm really hoping Epic fixes this in 4.21

Still it makes sense to use 4.20 for the other improvements. Occlusions can be disabled in your project settings so you are not blocked by this bug in the meantime ;)